This repair and service manual covers 2001-2008 Mercruiser Stern Drives, all gasoline engines and drives, including inboards and transmissions.
- 3.0L 181 4-cylinder, 2001-2006
- 3.0 TKS 181 4-cylinder, 2007-2008
- 4.3L 262 V6, 2001-2006
- 4.3L H 262 V6, 2001
- 4.3L EFI 262 V6 2001-2002
- 4.3L MPI 262 V6, 2002-2008
- 4.3L TKS 262 V6, 2007-2008
- 5.0L 305 V8, 2001-2006
- 5.0L EFI 305 V8, 2002-2002
- 5.0L MPI 305 V8, 2002-2008
- 5.0L TKS 305 V8, 2007-2008
- 5.7L 350 V8, 2001-2006
- 5.7L EFI 350 V8, 2001-2005
- 5.7L MPI 350 V8, 2008
- 5.7L TKS 350 V8, 2007-2008
- 6.2 377 V8, 2001-2006
- 8.2L S 496 V8, 2001-2008
- 8.2L S HO 496 V8, 2001-2008
- 5.7L 350 Mag MPI V8, 2001-2008
- 8.1L 496 Mag V8, 2001-2006
- 8.1L 496 Mag HO V8, 2001-2006
- 8.1L 496 Mag MPI V8, 2007-2008
- 8.1L 496 Mag HO MPI V8, 2007-2008
- 6.2L Black Scorpion 377 V8, 2001-2006
- 6.2L MX6.2 Black Scorpion 377 V8, 2002-2006
- 6.2L MX6.2 MPI 377 V8, 2001-2008
- 5.7L Scorpion 350 V8, 2007-2008
- 6.2L Scorpion 377 V8, 2007-2008
- 5.7L Tow Sport 5.7 MPI 350 V8, 2007-2008
- 5.7L Tow Sport 5.7 TKS 350 V8, 2007-2008
- Alpha Sterndrive, 2001-2008
- Bravo I, II, III Sterndrive 2001-2008
- Bravo X. XR, XZ Sterndrive, 2001-2008
- Hurth Inboard, 2001-2008
- Velvet Inboard, 2001-2008
- ZF Inboard, 2001-2008
Step-by-step illustrated keyed procedures guide you through every conceivable job possible, including all adjustments necessary. Perfect for do-it-yourselfers, professional mechanics, or students.
Book Excerpt: 2001-2008 Mercruiser Stern Drive Repair Manual
MAINTENANCE OR REPAIR?
Proper maintenance is the key to long and trouble-free engine life, and the work can yield its own rewards. A properly maintained engine performs better than one that is neglected.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
As a conscientious boat owner, set aside a Saturday morning, at least once a month, to perform a thorough check of items that could cause problems. Keep your own personal log to jot down which services you performed, how much the parts cost you, the date, and the amount of hours on the engine at the time.
Keep all receipts for parts purchased, so that they may be referred to in case of related problems or to determine operating expenses. As a do-it-yourselfer, these receipts are the only proof you have that the required maintenance was performed. In the event of a warranty problem (on new motors), these receipts can be invaluable.
It's necessary to mention the difference between maintenance and repair. Maintenance includes routine inspections, adjustments, and replacement of parts that show signs of normal wear.
Maintenance compensates for wear or deterioration. Repair implies that something has broken or is not working. A need for repair is often caused by lack of maintenance.
For example: draining and refilling the gearcase oil is maintenance recommended by all manufacturers at specific intervals. Failure to do this can allow internal corrosion or damage and impair the operation of the motor, requiring expensive repairs. While no maintenance program can prevent items from breaking or wearing out, a general rule can be stated:
MAINTENANCE IS CHEAPER THAN REPAIR!.
- General information
- Tools and equipment
- Boating safety
- Engine and drive maintenance
- Engine mechanical - GM inline engines
- Engine mechanical - GM V6 and V8 engines
- Engine tune-up
- Engine disassembly and reassembly
- Fuel system
- Ignition system
- Electrical system
- Cooling system
- Drive unit
- Tilt and trim systems
- Engine specs
- Torque specs
- Maintenance and off-season storage
- Wiring diagrams
Subject: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Mercruiser Stern Drive service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0893300683 | ISBN-13: 9780893300685