The 1998-2002 Yamaha YZF400F, YZ426F, WR400F, WR426F motocross and off-road bike repair manual by Clymer, covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 1998-2002 Yamaha YZF400F, YZ426F, WR400F, WR426F Repair Manual
- Yamaha YZ400F, 1998-1999
- Yamaha YZ426F, 2000-2002
- Yamaha WR400F, 1998-2000
- Yamaha WR426F, 2001-2002
LUBRICATION, MAINTENANCE AND TUNE-UP
THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
To achieve accurate cable adjustment, the cables must not bind or drag. Make sure the engine idle speed is correct before adjusting the cables.
The pull cable opens the throttle, while the return cable closes the throttle. At the throttle, the pull cable is at the rear and the return cable is at the front.
- Determine the throttle grip free play as shown in Figure 36. If the free play is more or less than 3-5 mm (0.12-0.20 in.), adjust the cable as described in the following steps.
- Remove the throttle cable cover at the right side of the carburetor.
- On the return cable:
- Loosen the cable locknuts (A, Figure 37).
- Turn the cable adjuster (B, Figure 37) in or out to remove all free play at the throttle grip.
- Tighten the cable locknuts.
- On the upper (pull) cable:
- Loosen the cable locknuts (C, Figure 37).
- Turn the locknuts in/out until free play is achieved.
- When adjustment is correct, tighten the locknuts and reinstall the throttle cable cover.
- Turn the handlebars from side to side and check for binding. Correct if necessary.
WATER PUMP HOUSING
The water pump is located in the right crankcase cover (Figure 11). To inspect the condition of the impeller or water passages, the outer housing can be removed without removing the crankcase cover.
However, to service the seals or bearing, the right crankcase cover must be removed.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Remove and install the water pump assembly as described in the following procedure. (Refer to Figure 12).
Subject: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Yamaha YZF400F, YZ426F, WR400F, WR426F service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892879130 | ISBN-13: 9780892879137 | Clymer M491-2