This Seloc DIY repair and service manual covers 2002-2011 Yamaha WaveRunner FX, FZ and VX models, powered by 998cc, 1052cc and 1812cc 4-stroke engines.
Book Excerpt: 2002-2011 Yamaha WaveRunner FX, FZ, VX Repair Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION | 998cc, 1052cc ENGINES
HULL, HELM AND STEERING
(See Figures 1 and 2)
- Remove the seat(s) and cargo container.
- Disconnect the battery cables.
- Drain the engine oil as detailed in the Maintenance & Tune-Up section. Remove the oil filter.
- Remove the 4 bolts and lift off the deck beam if equipped.
- Tag and disconnect the throttle cable and fuel line as detailed in the Fuel System section.
- Loosen the clamp attaching the forward exhaust tube to the adaptor at the rear of the #3 exhaust pipe. Do the same with the clamp holding the center exhaust tube to the water lock and then remove the forward tube and water lock as detailed in the Exhaust & Cooling section.
- Disconnect the electrical box where it attaches to the hull as detailed in the ignition & Electrical section.
- On VX models, remove the air filter case as detailed in the Fuel System section. You must also disconnect the ECM and rectifier/regulator bracket and move the assembly out of the way.
- Tag and disconnect the water inlet and outlet hoses at their connections on the engine. Do the same with each of the water pilot outlet hoses.
- Disconnect the grease hose at the fitting near the thermostat. Position it out of the way.
- Tag and disconnect any remaining hoses, lines and electrical leads that may interfere with engine removal.
- At the back of the engine, remove the coupler cover bolt and lift off the cover. Do not lose the bolt collar.
HANDLEBARS: ALL 2002-2005 FX, 2006-2008 FX AND 2006-2007 FX HO MODELS
- Insert the QSTS cables and electrical leads back through handle boss cover. Do the same with the grommets and packing, sliding the grommets up the cables/leads as you lower the bars into the recess in the steering.
- Install the 2 bar brackets temporarily to hold everything in place.
- Reconnect the 3 couplers on the starboard side. Route the 2 QSTS cables back through the hull, installing new plastic ties in correct places. Reconnect the cable ends to the converter, making sure that the cable with the white tape in it is the higher of the two.
- Install a new plastic ties around the top of each grommet and then pop them back in place so they are secure in the deck.
- Position the handle boss cover on the helm and then coat the bolt threads with Loctite 242. Tighten the bolts, in a criss-cross pattern, to 0.7 ft. lbs./ 8.5 in. lbs. (0.9Nm). Remember, it is plastic.
Subject: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Yamaha WaveRunner FX, FZ, VX service, maintenance, and repair procedures.
ISBN-10: 0893300829 | ISBN-13: 9780893300821 | Seloc 9606