The 1978-1981 Yamaha XS1100 Fours repair manual by Clymer, covers the following motorcycle models:
- 1978 Yamaha XS1100E
- 1979 Yamaha XS1100F
- 1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
- 1980 Yamaha XS1100G
- 1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
- 1981 Yamaha XS1100H
- 1981 Yamaha XS1100SH
Yamaha XS1100 motorcycles are powered by four-cylinder, four-stroke engines, with chain-driven double overhead camshafts.
Book Excerpt: 1978-1981 Yamaha XS1100 Fours Repair Manual
PISTON RINGS: REPLACEMENT
GEARSHIFT DRUM AND FORKS | REMOVAL
(Refer to Figure 96 for this procedure)
- Remove old rings with a ring expander tool or by spreading the ring ends with your thumbs and lifting the rings up evenly (figure 103).
- Carefully remove all carbon from the ring grooves. Inspect grooves carefully for burrs, nicks, or broken and cracked lands. Recondition or replace piston if necessary.
- Check end gap of each ring. To check ring, insert the ring into the bottom of the cylinder bore and square it with the wall by tapping with the piston. The ring should be in about 5/8 in. (15mm).
Insert a feeler gauge as shown in Figure 104. Compare gap with Table 1. If the gap is smaller than specified, hold a small file in a vise, grip the ends of the ring with your fingers, and enlarge the gap. (See Figure 105.
- Roll each ring around its piston groove as shown in Figure 106 to check for binding. Minor binding may be cleaned up with a fine cut file.
NOTE: Install all rings with their markings facing up.
- Perform Steps 1-9, Crankcase Disassembly in Chapter Four.
- Remove middle gear assembly (A, Figure 97).
- Remove mainshaft assembly (B, Figure 97).
- Remove the circlip (Figure 98) on the shift fork shaft.
- Withdraw the shift fork shaft (Figure 99) and remove the shift forks.
- Straighten out the lock tab on the lockwasher (Figure 100) and remove the shift cam detent (Figure 101).
- Remove neutral safety switch (Figure 102).
Subject: 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Yamaha XS1100 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892873094 | ISBN-13: 9780892873098 | Clymer M411