This repair manual by Haynes, covers 1998-2005 VW Passat and 1996-2001 Audi A4 automobiles, with 1.8L four-cylinder turbo and 2.8L V6 engines.
Note: this manual DOES NOT include diesel engine, W8 engine, or S4 model info.
Book Excerpt: 1998-2005 VW Passat, 1996-2001 Audi A4 Repair Manual
OIL PAN | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 13.19a, 13.19b, 13.20a and 13.20b)
- Set parking brake and block the rear wheels.
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it securely on jack stands.
- Remove the splash shield under the engine, if equipped.
- Place radiator support panel in the service position (see Chapter 11).
NOTE: Access to the front of the engine is limited, therefore it will be necessary to remove the front bumper and position the radiator support panel forward enough to allow removal of the surrounding components.
- Drain the engine oil (see Chapter 1). Remove the oil dipstick.
- Remove the serpentine drive belts (see Chapter 1).
- Remove the engine cooling fan (see Chapter 3).
- On air-conditioned models, unbolt the air conditioning compressor drive belt tensioner roller.
- Remove the torque rod support bracket side braces (see section 18).
- Unbolt the torque rod support bracket. On models equipped with air conditioning, this bracket is attached to the front of the engine block just below the crankshaft pulley.
On models without air conditioning, the bracket is attached to the bottom of the radiator support panel.
- Detach the starter motor cables from under the engine mount by cutting the plastic cable ties.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the oil temperature sending unit at the bottom of the oil pan if equipped.
- Loosen the rear bolt on the right-hand transmission mount a few turns, then unscrew and remove the front bolt. On automatic transmission models, repeat this procedure on the left-hand transmission mount as well.
- On manual transmission models, unscrew the left-hand transmission mount nut until it is flush with the end of the bolt (approximately four turns).
SHORT-TRAVEL GEARSHIFT MODELS
(Refer to illustration 2.14)
- Working inside the car, unscrew and remove knob from the top of the shifter, then unclip and remove the boot.
- Remove the noise insulation around the bottom of the shifter housing.
- Measure the distance between the rear pushrod and body as shown (see illustration). If it is not 1-29/64 inches (37mm), loosen the pushrod bolt, re-position the pushrod, and tighten the bolt.
- Working through the shifter aperture, loosen the clamp bolt attaching the shift rod to the adjusting fork on the shift lever. Do not remove the bolt.
- Check that the ball housing is horizontal, if not loosen the two nuts, adjust the position of the housing, and re-tighten the nuts.
- Have an assistant hold the shift lever in a vertical position so that the distance between the ends of the curved ball stop are the same on both sides with the lever positioned slightly to the rear (see illustration 2.7). The shift lever is now in the 3rd/4th neutral position.
- Make sure the transaxle gear selector rod is positioned in neutral, then tighten the adjustment bolt. Lower the car to the ground.
- Install the noise insulation, boot and shift knob.
MANUAL TRANSAXLE | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustration 3.16)
CAUTION 1: These models are equipped with an anti-theft radio. Before performing a procedure that requires disconnecting the battery, make sure you have the proper activation code.
CAUTION 2: Disconnecting the battery can cause drivability problems that require a scan tool to remedy. See Chapter 5, Section 1 for use of an auxiliary voltage input device before disconnecting the battery.
- Select a solid, level surface to park the vehicle upon. Give yourself enough space to move around it easily. Apply the parking brake and chock the rear wheels.
- Remove the transaxle-to-engine bolts accessible from above.
- Raise the front end of the vehicle and support it securely on jack stands. Remove the splash guard from under the engine compartment.
Subject: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 VW Passat and Audi A4 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563927039 | ISBN-13: 9781563927034 | Haynes 96023