This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 206-2011 Jetta, Rabbit, GTI and Golf cars, including:
- New Jetta, 2005
- Jetta, 2006-2011
- GLI, 2006-2009
- Rabbit, 2006-2009
- GTI, 2006 with 2,0L engine
- GTI, 2007-2011
- GTI, 2010-2011
These cars come available with three different engines, depending on the year and model. A 2.0L FSI 16-valve DOHC Turbo, a 2.0L TSI DOHC 4-cylinder Turbo, and a 2.5L 20-valve DOHC 5-cylinder engine.
Automatic transmissions available include a Tiptronic 6-speed automatic or a 6-speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG), which is a cross between a manual and an automatic transmission.
Manual transmissions come available either as 5- or 6-speed gearboxes.
Note: This manual does not cover the A4 platform-based Jetta model or the 2006 GTI 1.8L models, 2011 2.0L 8-valve sedans built on the A6 platform, diesel engine info or R32 model information.
Book Excerpt: 2006-2011 VW Jetta, Rabbit, GTI, Golf Repair Manual
UPPER TIMING COVER, COVER SEAL, CAMSHAFT TIMING CHAIN AND TENSIONER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
WARNING: Wait until the engine is completely cool before beginning this procedure.
CAUTION: If the battery is disconnected, several systems must be re-learned before they will work properly (see Chapter 5, Section 3).
UPPER TIMING COVER CHAIN COVER
- Remove the engine cover (see Chapter 1, Section 7).
- Remove the battery and battery tray (see Chapter 5).
- Loosen the right front wheel bolts, raise the front of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Block the wheels at the opposite end and remove the right front wheel.
- Remove the under-vehicle splash shield (see Chapter 1, Sec. 6).
- Drain the coolant from the cooling system (see Chapter 1).
- Remove coolant reservoir (see Chapter 3).
- Remove the intake manifold (see Section 6).
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the vacuum pump.
- Disconnect the coolant hoses from the thermostat housing (see Chapter 3).
GENERAL INFORMATION AND PRECAUTIONS
FRONT SUSPENSION (Refer to illustration 1.1)
The front suspension is a Mac-Pherson strut design. The upper end of each strut is attached to the vehicle's body strut support. The lower end of the strut is connected to the upper end of the steering knuckle.
The steering knuckle is attached to a balljoint mounted on the outer end of the suspension control arm (see illustration).
REAR SUSPENSION (Refer to illustration 1.2)
The rear suspension on all except some 2011 Jetta models consists of a multi-link suspension which incorporates upper and lower control arms (or transverse links), trailing arms, knuckle and hub assemblies, rear tie-rods connected to the knuckles, shock absorbers, coil springs, and a stabilizer bar (see illustration).
On some 2011 Jetta models, a solid beam rear axle, shock absorbers and coil springs are used.
Subject: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 VW Jetta, Rabbit, GTI, Golf service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563929481 | ISBN-13: 9781563929489 | Haynes 96019