This repair and service manual published by Haynes, covers all models of the 2001-2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser.
The PT Cruiser is available only in a four-door, liftgate-type body style.
Book Excerpt: 2001-2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser Repair Manual
MINOR DAMAGE: REPAIR OF SCRATCHES
- If the scratch is superficial and does not penetrate to the metal of the body, repair is very simple. Lightly rub the scratched area with a fine rubbing compound to remove loose paint and built up wax. Rinse the area with clean water.
- Apply touch-up paint to the scratch, using a small brush. Continue to apply thin layers of paint until the surface of the paint in the scratch is level with the surrounding paint. Allow the new paint at least two weeks to harden, then blend it into the surrounding paint by rubbing with a very fine rubbing compound. Finally, apply a coat of wax to the scratch area.
- If the scratch has penetrated the paint and exposed the metal of the body, causing the metal to rust, a different repair technique is required. Remove all loose rust from the bottom of the scratch with a pocket knife, then apply rust inhibiting paint to revent the formation of rust in the future. Using a rubber or nylon applicator, coat the scratched area with glaze-type filler. If required, the filler can be mixed with thinner to provide a very thin paste, which is ideal for filling narrow scratches. Before the glaze filler in the scratch hardens, wrap a piece of smooth cotton cloth around the tip of a finger. Dip the cloth in thinner and then quickly wipe it along the surface of the scratch. This will ensure that the surface of the filler is slightly hollow. The scratch can now be painted over as described earlier in this Section.
REPAIR OF DENTS (See photo sequence)
- When repairing dents, the first job is to pull the dent out until the affected area is as close as possible to its original shape. There is no point in trying to restore the original shape completely as the metal in the damaged area will have stretched on impact and cannot be restored to its original contours. It is better to bring the level of the dent up to a point which is about 1/8 inch below the level of the surrounding metal. In cases where the dent is very shallow, it is not worth trying to pull it out at all.
- If the back side of the dent is accessible, it can be hammered out gently from behind using a soft-face hammer. While doing this, hold a block of wood firmly against the opposite side of the metal to absorb the hammer blows and prevent the metal from being stretched.
Subject: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563929635 | ISBN-13: 9781563929632 | Haynes 25035