This Seloc repair manual covers all 1986-1998 OMC Stern Drive engines; all drive systems, including:
- Ford 4-cylinder engines
- General Motors 4-cylinder engines
- General Motors V6 engines
- General Motors V8 engines
- Ford V8 engines
Stern Drive units include Cobra, King Cobra, SP, SX, SX Cobra, DP and DP DuoProp models.
Book Excerpt: 1986-1998 OMC Stern Drive Repair Manual - All Engines and Drive Systems
ENGINE MECHANICAL | FORD V8 ENGINES
ENGINE | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
IGNITION AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
(See Figures 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9).
Prior to removing the engine from your 1994-1996 vessel, it is imperative to measure the engine height as detailed in the Determining Minimum Engine Height section. Do NOT remove the engine until you have completed this procedure!
- Check the clearance between the front of the engine and the inside edge of the engine compartment bulkhead. If clearance is less than 6 in. (15.2mm), you will need to remove the stern drive unit because there won't be enough room to disengage the driveshaft from the engine coupler.
More than 6 in. will provide enough working room to get the engine out without removing the drive, BUT, we recommend removing the drive anyway. If you intend on doing anything to the mounts or stringers, you will need to re-align the engine as detailed in the Engine Alignment section - which requires removing the drive, so remove the drive!
- Remove the stern drive unit as detailed in the Drive Systems section.
- Open or remove the engine hatch cover.
- Disconnect the battery cables (negative first) at the battery and then disconnect them from the engine block and starter.
CAUTION: Make sure that all switches and systems are OFF before disconnecting the battery cables.
- Disconnect the two power steering hydraulic lines at the steering.
- Disconnect the fuel inlet line at the fuel pump or filter (whichever comes first on your particular engine) and quickly plug it and the inlet - a clean golf tee and some tape works well in this situation. Make sure you have rags handy, as there will be some spillage.
- Tag and disconnect the two-wire trim/tilt connector.
- Pop the two-wire trim/tilt sender connector out of the retainer and then disconnect it. You may have to cut the plastic tie securing the cable in order to move it out of the way.
TROUBLESHOOTING THE STARTING SYSTEM
If the starter motor spins but fails to crank the engine, the cause is usually a corroded or gummy Bendix drive. The drive should be removed, cleaned and given an inspection.
- Before wasting too much time troubleshooting the starter motor circuit, the following checks should be made. Many times, the problem will be corrected.
Starter motor cranks slowly or not at all.
- Battery fully charged.
- Shift control lever in neutral.
- Main 20-amp fuse is good (not blown).
- All electrical connections clean and tight.
- Wiring in good condition, insulation not worn or frayed.
- Faulty wiring connection.
- Short-circuited lead wire.
- Shift control not engaging neutral (not activating neutral start switch).
- Defective neutral start switch.
- Starter motor not properly grounded.
Subject: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 OMC Stern Drive service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 089330056X | ISBN-13: 9780893300562