This Chilton DIY repair manual, covers 1993-1998 Nissan 240SX, Altima cars, U.S. and Canadian versions.
These vehicles are powered by four-cylinder, 2.4L DOHC gasoline fuel-injected (MFI) engines.
Book Excerpt: 1993-1998 Nissan 240SX, Nissan Altima Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
CAMSHAFT, BEARINGS AND LIFTERS
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See figures 99, 100, 101, 102 and 103)
- Rotate the engine so that the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke.
- Remove the distributer assembly.
- Remove the cylinder head cover.
- Remove the camshaft sprocket cover.
- Remove the upper chain guides and timing chain tensioner.
- Using a piece of mechanic???s wire, secure the chain tom the sprocket so the chain will not fall during sprocket removal.
- Hold the flats of the camshaft with a wrench just behind the first camshaft bearing cap. Loosen and remove the camshaft sprocket bolts.
- Remove the camshaft sprockets. The stopper on the camshaft sprocket cover prevents the timing chain from disengaging the idler sprocket.
- remove the camshaft bearing caps in reverse order of the tightening sequence, then remove the camshafts.
- Remove the valve lifter adjusting shims from the tops of the lifters.
- Remove the valve lifters from the bores in the cylinder heads.
NOTE: Be sure to note the location and positioning of each valve train component. Install all valve train components in their original positions.
When installing the valve train components, apply a coating of clean engine oil to the component.
- Install the lifters into the lifter bores from which they were removed.
- Install the valve shims to the lifters from which they came.
- Install the camshafts in the same position as before removal, then install the camshaft bearing caps; tighten the cap bolts in proper sequence as follows:
- Tighten all bolts to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- Tighten all bolts to 81-104 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm).
NOTE: When installing the timing chain sprockets, align the marks on the sprockets with the colored links of the chain.
- Install the camshaft sprockets (with the timing chain attached) and tighten the sprocket bolts to 123-130 ft. lbs. (167-177 Nm). Hold the flats of the camshaft with a wrench, just behind the first camshaft bearing cap while tightening.
- Install the chain guide between both camshaft sprockets.
- Install the camshaft sprocket cover.
- Install the cylinder head cover.
- Install the distributer assembly.
Subject: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 Nissan 240SX, Altima service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801989701 | ISBN-13: 9780801989704 | Chilton 52752