The 1985-1997 Kawasaki ZX500, ZX600 Ninja sportbike repair manual by Clymer covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 1985-1997 Kawasaki ZX500, ZX600 Ninja Repair Manual
- Kawasaki ZX500, (Europe) 1985-1990
- Kawasaki Ninja ZX600 (ZX600A), 1985-1987
- Kawasaki ZX600C, 1988-1997
This chapter covers all the parts that transmit power from the clutch to the drive chain; engine sprocket, transmission gears, shift drum, shift forks and shift linkage. Table 1 (end of chapter) lists transmission specifications.
FUEL, EMISSION CONTROL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
SPROCKET COVER: REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
- Remove the shift linkage (Figure 1). Remove the pinch screw (A) and the pivot screw (B) securing the shift linkage and pull the shift linkage off. If the pivot boss is tight on the shaft, spread the slot open with a screwdriver.
- Remove the screws securing the engine sprocket cover and remove the cover (Figure 2).
- To install the sprocket cover, reverse the removal steps.
NEUTRAL SWITCH: REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
The neutral light is activated by a switch mounted in the shift linkage cover (Figure 3) under the sprocket cover. The switch is turned on when the shift drum end plate is at its NEUTRAL position.
- Disconnect the electrical connector at the neutral switch.
- Using a sprocket, unscrew the neutral switch and remove it.
- Reverse to install.
AIR SUCTION SYSTEM (US MODELS)
The air suction system (Figure 39) consists of a vacuum switch, 2 air suction valves (reed valves) and air and vacuum hoses. This system does not pressurize air, but uses the momentary pressure differentials generated by the exhaust gas pulses to introduce fresh air into the exhaust ports.
The vacuum switch normally allows fresh air pulses into the exhaust ports but shuts off air flow during engine braking.
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 Kawasaki ZX500, ZX600 Ninja service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892876964 | ISBN-13: 9780892876969 | Clymer M452-3