This repair and service manual covers 2001-2004 Honda Rubicon All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs), including:
- Honda TRX500FA 2001-2004
- Honda TRX500FGA 2004
This Clymer manual is 382 pages and is filled with hundreds of black and white photos and color diagrams and addresses every aspect of these Honda ATVs, from transmissions and shift mechanism, engine top end and bottom end, clutch and primary drive gear, cylinder leak down test, fuel system, carburetor adjustments and more. See a 2004 Honda Rubicon rear end diagram. If your Honda TRX500FA has noise in the engine, you may be able to diagnose and solve the problem without incurring the exorbitant expense associated with taking it to a professional mechanic. Order the 2001-2004 Honda Rubicon repair manual from The Motor Bookstore and get free same-day shipping.
Book Excerpt: 2001-2004 Honda TRX500 Rubicon ATV Repair Manual
Valve lapping can restore the valve seal without machining (if the amount of wear or distortion is not too great).
Only perform this procedure after determining the valve seat width and outside diameter are within specifications. Refer to the Inspection procedure in this section.
- Smear a light coating of fine grade valve lapping compound on the valve face seating surface.
- Insert the valve into the head.
- Wet the suction cup of the lapping stick and stick it onto the head of the valve. Lap the valve to the seat by spinning the lapping stick in both directions.
Every 5 to 10 seconds, rotate the valve 180 degrees in the valve seat. Continue this action until the mating surfaces on the valve and seat are smooth and equal in size.
- Closely examine the valve seat in the cylinder head. It should be smooth and even with a polished seating ring.
- Thoroughly clean the valves and cylinder head in solvent and then with hot soapy water to remove all lapping compound.
Any compound left on the valves or the cylinder head contaminates the engine oil and causes excessive wear and damage.
After drying the cylinder head, lubricate the valve guides with engine oil to prevent rust.
- After installing the valves into the cylinder, test the valve seat seal as described in the Solvent Test in this section.
If fluid leaks past the seat, remove the valve assembly and repeat the lapping procedure until there is no leakage.
When there is no leakage, remove all valve sets and reclean the cylinder head assembly as described in Step 5.
Subject: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Honda Rubicon TRX500, TRX500FA, TRX500FGA service,
maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892879203 ISBN-13: 9780892879205 | Clymer M210