This Seloc repair manual covers all 1978-2001 Honda Outboard Motors 2-130 HP, 1-4 cylinder, 4-stroke, including fuel injection and jet drives.
Step-by-step illustrated keyed procedures guide you through every conceivable job possible, including all adjustments necessary. Perfect for do-it-yourselfers, professional mechanics, or students.
Book Excerpt: 1978-2001 Honda Outboards 2-130 HP, 1-4 Cylinder 4-Stroke Models Repair Manual
MAINTENANCE AND TUNE UP
WINTER STORAGE CHECKLIST
IGNITION AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Taking extra time to store the boat properly at the end of each season will increase the chances of satisfactory service at the next season. Remember, storage is the greatest enemy of an outboard motor. The unit should be run on a monthly basis. The boat steering and shifting mechanism should also be worked through complete cycles several times each month. If a small amount of time is spent in such maintenance, the reward will be satisfactory performance, increased longevity and greatly reduced maintenance expenses.
For many years there have been the widespread of belief simply shutting off the fuel tank and then running the powerhead until it stops is the proper procedure before storing the engine for any length of time. Right? WRONG!
First, it is not possible to remove all fuel in the carburetor by operating the powerhead until it stops. Considerable fuel is trapped in the float chamber and other passages and in the line leading into the carburetor. The only guaranteed method of removing all fuel is to take the time to remove the carburetors, and drain the fuel.
Proper storage involves adequate protection if the unit from physical damage, rust, corrosion, and dirt. The following steps provide an adequate maintenance program for storing the unit at the end of a season.
- On four-stroke outboards it is important drain the engine oil and replace with new oil and filter.
- Squirt a small quantity of engine oil into each spark plug hole and crank the engine over to distribute the oil around the engine internals. Reinstall old spark plugs (you will install new spark plugs in the spring).
- Drain all fuel from the carburetor float bowls. On the fuel injected models, drain the fuel from the vapor separator.
- Drain the fuel tank and fuel lines. Store the fuel tank in a cool dry area with the vent OPEN to allow air to circulate through the tank. Do not store the fuel tank on bare concrete. Place the tank to allow air to circulate around it.
- Change the fuel filter.
- Drain, and then fill the lower unit with new lower unit gear oil.
- Lubricate the throttle and shift linkage and the steering pivot shaft.
- Clean the outboard unit thoroughly. Coat the powerhead with a commercial corrosion and rust preventative spray. Install the cowling, and then apply a thin film of fresh engine oil to all painted surfaces.
TWO AND THREE-CYLINDER IGNITION
The capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) system installed on the twin-cylinder Honda models use a semi-conductor switching element called an ?SCR? (Silicone Controlled Rectifier) or more commonly as thyristor.
The three-cylinder engines are equipped with three ignition condensers, one voltage doubler condenser, and an independent ignition system is provided for each cylinder.
- With the engine running, the flywheel magneto induces alternating current in the exciter coil. Positive half-cycle current flows through the diode and into the CDI unit to charge the capacitor.
- When the advanced rotor in the camshaft pulley turn to the ignition position, alternating (AC) current is induced in the pulser coil. The current flows through another diode and triggers the thyristor into a conductive state. This causes the capacitor to discharge into the ignition coil.
- This momentary rush of discharging current induces a high voltage surge in the ignition coil secondary winding and causes the spark plugs to spark.
Subject: 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 Honda Outboards 2-130 HP, 1-4 Cylinder 4-Stroke Models service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0893300489 | ISBN-13: 9780893300487 | Seloc 1200