This Seloc repair manual covers 1988-2003 Suzuki Outboard 2-225 HP, 1-4 cylinder, V4 and V6, 2-stroke motors, including fuel injection and jet drives.
Book Excerpt: 1988-2003 Suzuki Outboard 2-225 HP Repair Manual
IGNITION AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
CONDENSER | TESTING
OIL INJECTION SYSTEM
- Remove the flywheel.
- Disconnect the condenser lead from the breaker points assembly.
- Connect on test lead to the condenser lead. Connect the other test lead to the stator base.
- . Set the digital multi-meter controls according to the manufacturer's instructions. Check the condenser for resistance, leakage and capacity.
- Compare the results in the previous step with the ignition digital multi-meter. Replace the condenser if it does not pass any one of the three tests.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Remove the engine cover.
- Remove the fuel tank assembly.
- Remove the recoil starter assembly.
- Remove the starter cup and magneto insulator.
- With a flywheel holder or a commonly available strap wrench, hold the flywheel and loosen the retaining nut.
- With the flywheel rotor remover (#09930-30713) remove the flywheel. Make sure to keep track of the flywheel key when removing the flywheel.
- Disconnect the plug cap and the two lead wires (that are coming from the stator) and remove the stator.
- Remove the stator base screw which holds the breaker point assembly to the base.
- Disconnect the coil and condenser leads at the breaker point. Now remove the breaker point assembly.
- Remove the condenser from the stator base by removing the screw.
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
Suzuki is the originator of outboard oil injection, introducing it to the marine industry in 1980. Because of years of experience in motorcycle oil injection technology, Suzuki applied many of those proven principles to their outboard motors.
The oil injection system automatically adjusts the amount of oil to a clean burning 150:1 fuel/oil ratio. Then as engine rpm increases, the ratio changes gradually to a 50:1 mixture at full throttle for greater lubrication.
(See Figures 1 and 2)
The heart of oil injection system is a precision die cast Mikuni oil pump which is gear driven directly by the engine's crankshaft.
This mechanical link between engine rpm and the pump means that oil is metered without hesitation in exactly the correct ratio at all throttle openings to minimize smoke and possible carbon build-up at idle speeds.
Once the oil leaves the Mikuni pump, it travels through oil lines to distribution nozzles located downstream of the carburetor or throttle body.
The nozzles then inject the oil directly into the incoming air/fuel mixture. This thoroughly mixes the oil, air and fuel before it enters the combustion chamber in order to provide optimum lubrication.
Subject: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Suzuki Outboard 2-225 HP service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0893300500 | ISBN-13: 9780893300500 | Seloc 1600