The 1978-1983 Honda CX500, CX650, GL500, GL650 Silver Wing Repair Manual by Clymer covers models indicated, including:
Book Excerpt: 1978-1983 Honda CX500, CX650, GL500, GL650 Silver Wing Repair Manual
- Honda CX500 Standard 1978
- Honda CX500 Custom, CX500 Deluxe
- Honda CX650 Custom 1979-1982
- Honda Silver Wing GL500 1981-1982
- Honda GL500 Interstate 1981-1982
- Honda CX650C 1983
- Honda SilverWing GL650 1983
- Honda GL650 Interstate 1983
CAPACITOR DISCHARGE IGNITION
The Honda CX500 is equipped with a capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) system. This solid state system uses no breaker points or other moving parts. Figure 29 illustrates the capacitor discharge system.
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS: CARBURETORS
Alternating current from the alternator is rectified and used to charge the capacitor.
As the piston approaches the firing position, a pulse from the signal coil is rectified, shaped, and then used to trigger the silicon controlled rectifier (SCR) which in turn allows the capacitor to discharge quickly into the primary circuit of the ignition coil, where the voltage is stepped up in the secondary circuit to a value sufficient to fire the spark plug.
Certain measures must be taken to protect the capacitor discharge system. Damage to the semiconductors in the system may occur if the following precautions are not observed.
- Never reverse the battery connections. If battery polarity is wrong, damage will occur to the voltage regulator/ rectifier, alternator, and CDI system.
- Do not disconnect the battery when the engine is running. A voltage surge will occur which will damage the voltage regulator/ rectifier and possibly burn out the lights.
An accelerator pump circuit has been added to the carburetors on 1980-on models to aid performance when accelerating (Figure 67).
The accelerator pump assembly is part of the left-hand carburetor and the fuel is delivered to the right-hand carburetor via the accelerator pump joint pipe.
Removal, installation, disassembly and assembly are the same as on previous models with the exception of the accelerator pump assembly and a limiter cap on the pilot screw.
Both of these service procedures are included in this section of this supplement.
Subject: 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 Honda CX500, CX650, GL500, GL650 Silver Wing service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892872950 | ISBN-13: 9780892872954 | Clymer M335