The 1965-1976 Honda CB450, CL450, CB500 DOHC Twin Repair Manual by Clymer covers twin-cylinder motorcycles with dual overhead cams (DOHC), including:
Book Excerpt: 1965-1976 Honda CB450, CL450, CB500 DOHC Twin Repair Manual
- Honda CB450 1965-1974
- Honda CL450 1968-1974
- Honda CB500T 1975-1976
The fuel strainer should be cleaned every 3,000 miles or 6 months on CB/CL450 models. Unscrew strainer cap from fuel shut-off valve. See Figure 4.
IGNITION COILS: REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
Pull out strainer. Wash strainer and cap in solvent. Remove all traces of foreign matter. Reinstall strainer in valve body. Screw on cap with O-ring in place. Turn fuel shut-off valve to ON and check for leaks.
On the CB500T, turn fuel cock lever to OFF, disconnect fuel tubes, and remove fuel tank. Drain fuel, using a well-ventilated area in which no open flames are present.
Loosen fuel cock attaching nut (Figure 5) and remove fuel cock and filter from tank. Wash fuel filter (Figure 6) in solvent and reassemble, using a new gasket. Refill tank and check for leakage. Reinstall tank on bike.
The coils are located under the fuel tank. See Figure 10 for the 450 models. The CB500T uses the same system, except that the ignition switch has been moved to the fork top bridge and also serves as a fork lock.
- Remove fuel tank, as described in Chapter Six.
- Disconnect leads at spark plugs.
- Disconnect 4 small wires at the harness connectors.
- Remove screw securing coil assembly and remove coil assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of these steps.
The best test for a suspected coil is to replace it with a known good coil. Another way is to check it for continuity as follows:
- Short both black/white wires together with a small jumper wire.
- Connect black ohmmeter lead to common connection of black/white wires.
- Connect red ohmmeter lead to each spark plug lead. The 2 measurements should be nearly equal. If one reads significantly higher or lower, replace coil assembly.
Subject: 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976 Honda CB450, CL450, CB500 DOHC Twin service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892876859 | ISBN-13: 9780892876853 | Clymer M333