This Chilton repair and service manual covers 1996-2007 Ford Taurus and 1996-2007 Mercury Sable. U.S. and Canadian models.
Note: this manuel DOES NOT include information specific to SHO or variable-fuel models.
The Chilton 26702 - Ford Taurus / Sable Repair Manual covers the following engines:
Book Excerpt: 1996-2007 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable Repair Manual
- 3.0L (182-cid) V6 OHV engine - a.k.a. Vulcan
- 3.0L (181-cid) V6 OHC engine - a.k.a. Duratec
GENERAL ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEDURES
CYLINDER HEAD | CLEANING AND INSPECTION
SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
- Thorough cleaning of the cylinder heads and related valve train components, followed by a detailed inspection, will let you to decide how much valve service must be done during the engine overhaul.
NOTE: If the engine was severely overheated, the cylinder head is probably warped (see Step 12).
- Scrape all traces of old gasket material and sealing compound off the sealing surfaces of the heads and the intake and exhaust manifolds. Special gasket removal solvents that soften gaskets and make removal easier are available at auto parts stores.
CAUTION: Be very careful when scraping on aluminum engine parts. Aluminum is soft and gouges easily. Severely gouged parts may require replacement.
- Remove all built-up scale from the coolant passages.
- Run a stiff wire brush through the various holes to remove deposits that may have formed in them.
- Run an appropriate-sized tap into each of the threaded holes to remove corrosion and thread sealant that may be present. If compressed air is available, use it to clear the holes of debris produced by this operation.
REAR TENSION STRUT AND BUSHINGS (SEDAN) | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (Refer to illustration 11/2)
- Loosen the wheel nuts. Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Block the front wheels and remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the nut that attaches the tension strut to spindle (see illustration). Use a wrench on the flat area of the tension strut to keep it from turning. Make a note of the washer and bushing arrangement for reference on assembly.
- Remove the nut that attaches the tension strut to the body. Again, keep the strut from turning by holding it with a wrench on the flat portion. Keep the front bushings separate from the rear bushings; they are different.
- Pull the spindle and strut assembly toward the rear of the vehicle to free the tension strut. At the same time, pull the tension strut from the front mount and remove it from the vehicle.
NOTE: if the spindle and strut can't be pulled back far enough to remove the tension strut, loosen the strut/shock absorber upper mounting nuts.
- Check the rubber bushings for cracks and wear. Replace them if necessary.
- Place the concave washers and inner bushings on the ends of the tension strut, with the dished portion of each washer toward the center.
Subject: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1620921898 | ISBN-13: 9781620921890 | Chilton 26702