This Chilton 26606 repair and service manual covers 1979-1993 Ford Mustang and 1979-1986 Mercury Capri, U.S. and Canadian models, with 2.3L inline four-cylinder and 5.0L V8 engines.
Book Excerpt: 1979-1993 Ford Mustang / 1979-1986 Mercury Capri Repair Manual
TIMING BELT AND TENSIONER (See Figures 174, 175, 176, 177)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Remove the timing belt front cover.
- Loosen the timing belt tensioner adjustment screw, position belt tensioner tool T74P-6254-A, or equivalent, on the tension spring roll pin and release the belt tensioner. Tighten the adjustment screw to hold the tensioner in the released position.
- On 1991-93 vechicles (VIN M engine), remove the bolts holding the timing sensor in place and pull the sensor assembly free of the dowel pin.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley, hub and belt guide. Remove the timing belt. If the belt is to be reused, mark the direction of rotation so it may be reinstalled in the same direction.
Note: If the belt is to be reused, inspect it for wear or damage. For more information on timing belts, inspection and periodic replacement, please refer to Section 1 of this manual.
- Position the crankshaft to align with the TDC mark and the camshaft sprocket to align with the camshaft timing pointer.
- On 1989-90 vehicles, remove the distributor cap and set the rotor to the No.1 firing position by turning the auxiliary shaft.
- Install the timing belt over the crankshft sprocket and then counterclockwise over the auxiliary and camshaft sprockets. Align the belt fore-and-aft on the sprockets.
- Loosen the tensioner adjustment bolt to allow the tensioner to move against the belt. If the spring does not have enough tension to move the roller against the belt, it may be necessary to manually push the roller against the belt and tighten the bolt.
- Remove a spark plug from each cylinder in order to relieve engine compression and to make sure the belt does not jump time during rotation in the next step.
Subject: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Ford Mustang and Mercury Capri service, maintenance, and repair procedures.
ISBN-10: 1563929953 | ISBN-13: 9781563929953 | Chilton 26606