This do-it-yourself repair and service manual by Chilton, covers 1991-2002 Ford Escort and Mercury Tracer.
The Chilton Total Care manuals are very detail oriented, thorough and easy to understand DIY guides. This manual includes step by step procedures and instructions to help the DIY mechanic do all repairs on your Ford Escort and Mercury Tracer. All repair steps in this book include detailed photos of the steps with arrows calling out tips and strategies to look for while doing the repairs.
This Chilton 26242 will surely save you money and time on your repairs. From basic service and maintenance jobs to full engine rebuilds, this DIY guide will be the number one tool in your toolbox - for sure!
Book Excerpt: 1991-2002 Ford Escort, Mercury Tracer Repair Manual
VALVE SPRINGS, RETAINERS AND SEALS | REPLACEMENT
ALL ENGINES (Refer to illustration 9.4)
NOTE: Broken valve springs and defective valve stem seals can be replaced without removing the cylinder head. Special tools and a compressed air source are normally required to perform this operation, so read through this Section carefully and rent or buy the tools before beginning the job.
- Refer to Section 6 and remove the valve cover from the cylinder head.
- Remove the spark plug from the cylinder which has the defective component. If all of the valve stem seals are being replaced, all of the spark plugs should be removed.
- Turn the crankshaft until the piston in the affected cylinder is at top dead center on the compression stroke (see Section 3 for instructions).
If you're replacing all of the valve stem seals, begin with cylinder number one and work on the valves for one cylinder at a time.
Move from cylinder-to-cylinder following the firing order sequence (see this Chapter's Specifications).
- Thread an adapter into the spark plug hole (see illustration) and connect an air hose from a compressed air source to it. Most auto parts stores can supply the air hose adapter.
NOTE: Many cylinder compression gauges utilize a screw-in-fitting that may work with your air hose quick-disconnect fitting.
- Apply compressed air to the cylinder.
HOOD | REMOVAL, INSTALLATION AND ADJUSTMENT
NOTE: The hood is heavy and somewhat awkward to remove and install. At least two people should perform this procedure.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (Refer to illustration 8.2)
- Use blankets or pads to cover the cowl area of the body and the fenders. This will protect the body and paint as the hood is lifted off.
- Scribe or paint alignment marks around the bolt heads to insure proper alignment during installation (see illustration).
- Disconnect any cables or wire harnesses which will interfere with removal.
- Have an assistant support the weight of the hood. Remove the hinge-to-hood nuts or bolts.
- Lift off the hood.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
ADJUSTMENT (Refer to illustration 8.10)
- Fore-and-aft and side-to-side adjustment of the hood is done by moving the hood in relation to the hinge plate so you can judge the amount of movement (see illustration 8.2).
- Scribe a line around the entire hinge plate so you can judge the amount of movement (see illustration 8.2).
- Loosen the bolts or nuts and move the hood into correct alignment. Move it only a little at a time. Tighten the hinge bolts or nuts and carefully lower the hood to check the alignment.
- If necessary after installation, the entire hood latch assembly can be adjusted up-and-down as well as from side-to-side on the radiator support so the hood closes securely and is flush with the fenders.
To do this, scribe a line around the hood latch mounting bolts to provide a reference point. Then loosen the bolts and nut and reposition the latch assembly as necessary.
Following adjustment, retighten the mounting bolts and nut (see illustration).
- The hood latch assembly, as well as the hinges, should be periodically lubricated with white lithium-base grease to prevent sticking and wear.
Pick up this Chilton manual today so you can start maintaining your Ford Escort or Mercury Tracer tomorrow.
Subject: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Ford Escort, Mercury Tracer service, maintenance, and repair procedures/instructions.
ISBN-10: 1563928930 | ISBN-13: 9781563928932 | Chilton 26242