This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers all 1995-2000 Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique models.
Book Excerpt: 1995-2000 Ford Contour, Mercury Mystique Repair Manual
COOLING, HEATING, AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
THERMOSTAT | REMOVAL, TESTING AND INSTALLATION
SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
WARNING: The engine must be completely cool when performing this procedure. Never, under any circumstances, remove the coolant recovery tank cap while the engine is running, or cooling system, engine damage, and/or personal injury could result.
Note: Do not run the vehicle without a thermostat installed. The engine management system will stay in open loop causing the emissions and fuel economy to suffer.
REMOVAL | FOUR-CYLINDER MODELS
(Refer to illustration 4.5)
- Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery (see Chapter 5, Section 1).
- If necessary, unbolt the resonator support bracket from the engine compartment front crossmember. Loosen the two clamp screws securing the resonator to the mass airflow sensor and plenum chamber hoses, then swing the resonator up clear of the thermostat housing (see Chapter 4).
- Drain the cooling system (see Chapter 1). If the coolant is relatively new or in good condition, drain it into a clean container and reuse it.
- Disconnect the recovery tank coolant hose and the radiator top hose from the thermostat housing's water outlet.
- Unbolt the water outlet and withdraw the thermostat (see illustration). Note the position of the air bleed valve and how the thermostat is installed (which end is facing outward).
TIE-ROD END | REPLACEMENT
(Refer to illustration 24.4)
- Apply the parking brake, then jack up the front of the vehicle and support it on axle stands. Remove the appropriate front wheel.
- Using a suitable wrench, loosen the locknut on the tie-rod by a quarter-turn. Hold the tie-rod end stationary with another wrench engaged with the special flats while loosening the locknut.
- Extract the cotter pin, then unscrew and remove the tie-rod end balljoint retaining nut.
- To release the tapered shank of the balljoint from the steering knuckle arm, use a balljoint separator tool (if the balljoint is to be re-used, take care not to damage the dust cover when using the separator tool) (see illustration).
- Count the number of exposed threads visible on the inner section of the tie-rod, and record this figure.
Subject: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Ford Contour, Mercury Mystique service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563923998 | ISBN-13: 9781563923999 | Haynes 36006