This DIY service, repair and maintenance manual by Haynes, covers 1987-1994 Dodge Shadow. Plymouth Sundance and Plymouth Duster.
Note: the manual does not include Flexible Fuel System model information.
Book Excerpt: 1987-1994 Dodge Shadow, Plymouth Sundance, Duster Repair Manual
EXHAUST MANIFOLDS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustrations 8.5, 8.6, 8.8, 8.9a, 8.9b, 8.9c, 8.12a and 8.12b)
WARNING: Let the engine cool completely before this procedure is performed.
- Disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
- Spray penetrating oil on the exhaust manifold fasteners and allow it to soak in.
- If you're removing the front exhaust manifold, remove the coolant reservoir (see Chapter 3) and the dipstick tube (follow the tube down the front of the block and you'll find a single bracket bolt securing the tube to the block).
- If you're removing the rear exhaust manifold, remove the air cleaner assembly and the intake ducting (see Chapter 4).
- Remove the bolts and nuts that attach the flange(s) of the crossover pipe to the front and/or rear exhaust manifold(s) (see illustration).
- If you're removing the rear exhaust manifold, disconnect the exhaust pipe flange bolts (see illustration).
- If you're removing the rear exhaust manifold, disconnect the EGR tube (see Chapter 6).
- If you're removing the front exhaust manifold, remove the three heat shield bolts (see illustration) and remove the shield.
- Remove the exhaust manifold(s) and gasket(s) (see illustrations).
- Carefully inspect the manifold(s) and fasteners for cracks and damage.
FRONT END ALIGNMENT | GENERAL INFORMATION
A front end alignment refers to the adjustments made to the front wheels so they're in proper angular relationship to the suspension and the ground. Front wheels that are out of proper angular relationship to the suspension and the ground.
Front wheels that are out of proper alignment not only affect steering control, but also increase tire wear. The front end adjustments normally required are the camber and toe-in.
Getting the proper front wheel alignment is a very exacting process in which complicated and expensive machines are necessary to perform the job properly. Because of this, you should have a technician with the proper equipment perform these tasks.
We will, however, use this space to give you a basic idea of what's involved with front end alignment so you can better understand the process and deal intelligently with the shop that does the work.
Toe-in is the turning in of the front wheels. The purpose of a toe specification is to ensure parallel rolling of the front wheels.
In a vehicle with zero toe-in, the distance between the front edges of the wheels will be the same as the distance between the rear edges of the wheels. The actual amount of toe-in is normally only a fraction of an inch.
Subject: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Dodge Shadow, Plymouth Sundance, Duster service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563921855 | ISBN-13: 9781563921858 | Haynes 30055