This Chilton repair and service manual covers 1978-1989 Dodge and 1978-1989 Plymouth models, including:
Book Excerpt: 1978-1989 Omni, Rampage, Shelby Charger, Horizon Repair Manual
- Dodge Omni
- Dodge Miser
- Dodge 024
- Dodge Rampage
- Dodge Charger
- Dodge Shelby Charger
- Plymouth Horizon
- Plymouth Miser
- Plymouth Scamp
- Plymouth TC3
- Plymouth Turismo
WATER PUMP | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
1.6L ENGINE (see Figure 65)
- Remove the radiator cap and drain the cooling system.
- Remove the drive belts.
- Disconnect the water pump to block coolant hose at the pump.
- Remove the water pump pulley.
- Remove the four water pump to crankcase extension bolts and remove the water pump assembly.
- installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to use a new gasket.
1.7L ENGINE (see Figures 66, 67 and 68)
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the upper radiator hose.
- Unbolt the compressor and/or air pump brackets from the water pump and secure them out of the way.
- remove the alternator completely from the vehicle.
- Unbolt the water pump pulley.
- If equipped, remove the diverter valve hose at the valve. Remove the rear air pump bracket, then the front bracket.
- Remove the alternator bracket attached to the water pump.
- Disconnect the lower radiator hose, bypass hose and unbolt the timing cover bolt. Unbolt and remove the water pump. Discard the gasket and clean the gasket surfaces.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the water pump bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm), the alternator adjusting bolt to 30-50 ft. lbs. (41-68 Nm) and the pulley bolts to 85-125 inch lbs. (9-14 Nm).
HALFSHAFT | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
A-412 MODELS (see Figure 50)
Any time the differential cover is removed, a new gasket should be formed from RTV sealant. Please refer to Section 1 for further information on differential fluid replacement.
- With the vehicle on the floor and the brakes applied, loosen the hub nut. The hub and driveshafts are splined together and retained by the hub nut which is tightened to at least 180 ft. lbs (244 Nm).
- Raise and support the vehicle and remove the hub nut and washer. Always support both ends of the driveshaft during removal to prevent damage to the boots.
- Disconnect the lower control arm ball joint stud nut from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the Allen head screws which secure the CV-joint to the transaxle flange.
- Holding the CV-housing, push the outer joint and knuckle assembly outward while disengaging the inner housing from the flange face.
The outer joint must be supported during disengagement of the inner joint. Quickly turn the open end of the joint upward to retain as much lubricant as possible, then carefully pull the outer joint spline out of the hub.
Cover the joint with a clean towel to prevent dirt contamination.
- Before installation make sure that any lost lubricant is replaced. The only lubricant specified is Chrysler part number 4131389. No other lubricant of any type is to be used, as premature failure of the joint will occur.
- Clean the joint body and mating flange face.
- Install the outer joint splined shaft into the hub. Do not secure with the nut and washer.
- Early production vehicles were built with a cover plate between the hub and flange face. This cover is not necessary and should be discarded.
Subject: 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 Dodge Omni, Miser, 024, Rampage, Charger, Shelby Charger; Plymouth Horizon, Scamp, TC3, Turismo service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801987873 | ISBN-13: 9780801987878 | Chilton 20700