The 2003-2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V repair manual is a DIY service manual by Chilton and covers coupe, sedan and sport wagon models for the U.S. and Canadian markets.
These cars are powered by V6 and V8 engines, coupled to manual or automatic transmissions.
Note: This manual does not cover All-Wheel Drive (AWD) models.
Book Excerpt: 2003-2012 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V Repair Manual
CLUTCH AND DRIVELINE
PILOT BUSHING | REPLACEMENT (Refer to illustration 7.5 and 7.7)
CAUTION: There is a steel plug directly behind the pilot bushing that seals pressurized oil in the crankshaft. Be extremely careful not to dislodge this plug during removal and installation of the pilot bushing.
- The clutch pilot bushing is an oil-impregnated type bush which is pressed into the rear of the crankshaft. Its purpose is to support the front of the transmission input shaft. It should be inspected whenever the clutch components are removed from the engine. Due to its inaccessibility, if you are in doubt as to its condition, replace it.
NOTE: If the engine has been removed from the vehicle, disregard the following steps which don't apply.
- Remove the transmission (see Chapter 7A).
- Remove the clutch components (see Section 6).
- Inspect for any excessive wear, scoring, lack of grease, dryness or obvious damage. If any of these conditions are noted, the bushing should be replaced. A flashlight will be helpful to direct light into the recess.
- Removal can be accomplished with a small slide-hammer and puller attachment, which are available at auto parts stores and tool supply outlets (see illustration).
- Once the bushing is removed, clean the bore and the area behind it, in the crankshaft recess. Carefully inspect for any signs of oil leakage from the plug in the crankshaft.
- To install a new pilot bushing, lightly lubricate the outside surface with lithium-based grease, then drive it into the recess with a hammer and a bushing driver or socket (see illustration).
Most new bushings come already lubricated, but, if it is dry, apply a thin coat of high-temperature grease to it.
- Install the clutch components, transmission and all other components removed previously, tightening all fasteners securely.
DOOR LATCH OR OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE REINFORCEMENT (2008 AND LATER MODELS)
(Refer to illustration 15.18, 15.19, 15.20, 15.21a, 15.21b and 15.22)
- Remove the outside door handle lever (see Steps 6 through 8), then remove the door trim panel (see Section 13).
- Remove the trim cap for the outside door handle reinforcement retaining screw (see illustration) and remove the screw.
- Remove the outside door handle reinforcement exterior retaining screw (see illustration) and remove the reinforcement.
- Remove the latch mounting fasteners (see illustration).
Subject: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Cadillac CTS and CTS-V service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1620922517 | ISBN-13: 9781620922514 | Chilton 28550