This 934 page 1968 Ford and Mercury Factory Service Manual is a licensed printed reproduction. It provides detailed and comprehensive service and repair information and covers the full-size 1968 Ford and Mercury automobiles, engines and transmissions listed below:
- 1968 Ford Country Sedan
- 1968 Ford Country Squire
- 1968 Ford Custom 500
- 1968 Ford Custom
- 1968 Ford Galaxie 500
- 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL
- 1968 Ford LTD
- 1968 Ford Ranch Wagon
- 1968 Mercury Colony Park
- 1968 Mercury Commuter
- 1968 Mercury Marquis
- 1968 Mercury Montclair
- 1968 Mercury Monterey
- 1968 Mercury Park Lane
- 240 cubic inch 6-cylinder - includes Taxi and Police versions
- 302 cubic inch V8
- 390 cubic inch V8
- 428 cubic inch V8
- 428 cubic inch V8 Police
- 427 cubic inch V8 High-Performance
Book Excerpt: 1968 Ford and Mercury Factory Shop Manual
- General Transmission Service
- 3 Speed Manual Shift
- 4-Speed Manual Shift
- C4 Automatic
- FMX-MX Transmission
- C6 Automatic
MANUAL SHIFT TRANSMISSION - COUNTERSHAFT GEAR BEARINGS
FUEL SYSTEM/AUTOLITE MODEL 4300 4-V CARBURETOR - MAIN BODY TO THROTTLE BODY
- Remove the dummy shaft, fifty roller bearings, and the two bearing retainer washers from the counter-shaft gear (Fig. 19).
- Coat the bore in each end of the countershaft gear with grease.
- Hold the dummy shaft in the gear and install the twenty-five roller bearings and a retainer washer in each end of the gear.
- Position the countershaft gear, dummy shaft, and roller bearings in the case.
- Place the case in a vertical position. Align the gear bore and the thrust washers with the bores in the case and install the countershaft.
- Place the case in a horizontal position and check the countershaft gear end play with a feeler gauge. The end play should be within specification, replace the thrust washers.
- After establishing the correct end play, install the dummy shaft in the countershaft gear and allow the gear to remain at the bottom of the case until the output and input shafts have been installed.
- Position the main body on a working surface with the fuel bowl down.
- Position the main body to throttle body gasket on the main body.
- Position the throttle body on the main body and install retaining screws.
- Invert the main body and throttle body so the fuel bowl is upward.
- Install the power valve and main jets in the main body.
- Install the choke to throttle lockout lever.
- Place the accelerator pump ball check in the pump inlet hole of the pump chamber. Install the ball check retaining ring. The retaining ring must be installed with the tangs over the pump inlet hole as shown in Fig. 47, Part I, Section 2.
- Place the accelerator pump discharge needle into the pump discharge cavity.
This manual is the perfect guide and a must-have resource for the serious DIY Ford/Mercury mechanic or restorer. It will most definitely help you with the repair, restoration or service of your 1968 Ford or Mercury.
Additionally, it provides hundreds of detailed schematics and drawings to illustrate the textual steps required for complete tear-down and rebuild of every 1968 Ford and Mercury component.
This item is reproduced under a licensing agreement with Ford Motor Company. It is an exact reprint of the original manual on acid-free paper.
1968 Ford and Mercury OEM Shop Manual | OEM Part Number: Form 7098-68