The 1983-1987 Suzuki ALT125, LT125, ALT185, LT185 ATV repair manual by Clymer, covers 3- and 4-wheeler ATVs equipped with an air-cooled, single-cylinder, 4-stroke, single overhead camshaft (SOHC) engine, including:
Book Excerpt: 1983-1987 Suzuki ALT125, LT125, ALT185, LT185 Repair Manual
- Suzuki ALT125, 1983-1986
- Suzuki LT125, 1983-1987
- Suzuki ALT185, 1984-1985
- Suzuki LT185, 1984-1987
CLUTCH, TRANSMISSION AND GEARSHIFT MECHANISM
PRIMARY GEARS: REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
- Remove the clutch as previously outlined. The primary drive gear is installed into the back of the clutch housing and is removed with the clutch.
- Remove the snap ring securing the primary driven gear (Figure 71) and slide the gear off the transmission shaft.
- Slide the oil pump drive gear off the crankshaft (Figure 72). Note how the drive pin in the crankshaft engages the groove in the gear (Figure 73).
- Perform Inspection.
- Installation is the reverse of these steps. Keep the following points in mind:
- Make sure that the snap ring securing the primary driven gear fully locks into the groove in the transmission shaft.
- Install the clutch as outlined in this chapter.
- Carefully inspect the bushing in the primary drive gear (Figure 74). Replace the gear if the bushing is worn or damaged.
- Examine the teeth on the primary driven gear (Figure 75) and the oil pump drive gear (Figure 76). Replace the gears if any teeth are missing or if any of the teeth show signs of chipping or wear.
This chapter contains removal/ installation procedures for the seat and body panels.
ODOMETER PANEL: REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
- Reach under the left edge of the seat and release the spring seat catch (Figure 1).
- Lift up the seat and slide it far enough toward the rear to disengage the front hook (A, Figure 2). Remove the seat.
- To install the seat, hook the front seat hook on the frame and gently press the rear of the seat down until the spring-loaded catch secures the seat.
If the catch does not automatically engage the seat hooks, hold in on the release while pressing down on the seat. Release the catch when the seat is fully in place.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
- Remove the screws securing the odometer panel assembly (Figure 3). On LT models, the panel is secured with 4 screws. On ALT models, the panel is secured with 2 screws in front and slides under the frame cover in the rear.
- Unscrew the odometer cable (Figure 4) and remove the assembly.
- Do not tighten the knurled odometer cable more than finger-tight or the fitting in the odometer may be damaged.
- Do not overtighten the screws securing the panel or the edges of the plastic panel may break.
- Carefully pull the rubber grommet around the choke handle up through the hole in the panel so that the grommet seals the hole as well as possible.
- General Information
- Lubrication, Maintenance and Tune-up
- Clutch and External Gearshift Linkage
- Transmission and Internal Shift Mechanism
- Fuel and Emission Systems
- Exhaust System
- Electrical System
- Wheels, Tires and Drive Chain
- Front Suspension and Steering
- Rear Suspension
- Body and Frame
- Wiring Diagrams
Subject: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 Suzuki ALT125, LT125, ALT185, LT185 service, maintenance, repair info. ISBN-10: 0892875232 | ISBN-13: 9780892875238 | Clymer M381