This repair manual covers all US and Canadian models of Chevrolet S10 and GMC S15, Sonoma and Syclone pick-ups, 2- and 4-wheel drive, 1982-1993.
Book Excerpt: 1982-1993 Chevrolet S10, GMC S15, Sonoma, Syclone Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
WATER PUMP | DIAGNOSIS
Check the water pump operation by running the engine while squeezing the upper radiator hose. When the engine warms (thermostat opens) a pressure surge should be felt. Check for a plugged vent hole at the pump snout.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 113 thru 120)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely using jackstands.
- Remove the lower fan shroud/cover for access, and then drain the engine cooling system.
- If not equipped with A/C, remove the fan-to-water pump nuts and the fan from the vehicle. In most cases, it is easier to loosen the components and remove the drive belts before attempting to remove the pulley.
- If equipped with A/C:
- Loosen the air pump and alternator adjusting bolts, pivot them toward the engine and remove the drive belt(s).
- Remove the fan-to-water pump nuts and the fan (with the fan and air pump drive pulley) from the vehicle.
- Remove the fan set plate/pulley-to-water pump bolts, and then remove the set plate and the pulley.
- Disconnect the coolant hoses at the water pump.
- Remove the water pump-to-engine bolts and the water pump from the engine.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Install the water pump to the engine using a new gasket and sealant, and then tighten the water pump bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 NM).
- Connect the coolant hoses to the water pump.
- If equipped with A/C, install the fan set plate/pulley to the water pump, and then install the fan. Install the air pump and alternator drive belts, and then adjust the belt tension.
- If not equipped with A/C, install the fan assembly to the vehicle.
- Make sure the radiator petcock is closed, and then install the lower fan shroud/cover.
FUEL PRESSURE RELIEF
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Prior to servicing any component of the fuel injection system, the fuel pressure must be relieved. If fuel pressure is not relieved, serious injury could result.
A valve is provided on these fuel systems in order to conveniently test or release the fuel system pressure. A fuel pressure gauge and adapter will be necessary to connect to the fitting. The 4.3L MFI system uses a valve located on the fuel rail assembly, immediately before the pressure regulator in the fuel circuit.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable to assure the prevention of fuel spillage if the ignition switch is accidentally turned ON while a fitting is still disconnected.
- Loosen the fuel filter cap to release the fuel tank pressure.
- Make sure the release valve on the fuel gauge is closed, and then connect the fuel gauge to the pressure fitting located on the fuel rail.
NOTE: When connecting the gauge to the fitting, be sure to wrap a rag around the fitting to avoid spillage. After repairs, place the rag in an approved container.
- Install the bleed hose portion of the fuel gauge assembly into an approved container, and then open the gauge release valve and bleed the fuel pressure from the system.
- When the gauge is removed, be sure to open the bleed valve and drain all fuel from the gauge assembly.
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Anti-theft audio system | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
Subject: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Chevrolet S10, GMC S15, Sonoma, Syclone service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801988446 | ISBN-13: 9780801988448 | Chilton 28860