Find a manual »
Kawasaki Z1, KZ900, Z900, KZ1000, Z1000 Fours Repair Manual 1973-1977
The 1973-1977 Kawasaki Z1, KZ900, Z900, KZ1000, Z1000 Fours repair manual by Haynes covers the following motorcycle models:
- Kawasaki Z1 Series, (903cc) U.K. March 1973-Oct. 1976
- Kawasaki Z1 Series, (903cc) U.S.A. 1973-1975
- Kawasaki Z900, (903cc) U.K. Jan. 1976-Oct 1976
- Kawasaki KZ900, (903cc) U.S.A. 1975-1977
- Kawasaki Z1000, (1015cc) U.K. Oct. 1976-1977
- Kawasaki KZ1000, (1015cc) U.S.A. 1976-1977
Book Excerpt: 1973-1977 Kawasaki Z1, KZ900, Z900, KZ1000, Z1000 Fours Repair Manual
ENGINE, CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION
DISMANTLING THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION: REMOVING THE FINAL DRIVE SPROCKET
- Pull out the clutch push rod , disconnect the neutral switch situated at the bottom of the sprocket guard, unscrew the three crosshead screws and remove the sprocket guide.
- Flatten the bent up ear of the tab washer locking the sprocket nut, undo the sprocket nut while stopping the sprocket from turning (one way of doing this is to put a piece of the chain onto the sprocket and then to hold both ends of the chain in a vice). Remove the sprocket.
- Take off the transmission cover and gasket, remove the sprocket distance collar. and take off the 'O' ring that fits behind the collar. Note: The 'O' ring is to stop oil leakage from the crankcase.
- Remove the gear change detent lever mounting bolt, unhook the lever spring, and remove the lever.
DISMANTLING THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION: REMOVING THE OIL FILTER
- The oil filter is located underneath the sump. The filter has a drain plug, that should normally be removed when changing the engine oil. However as we are taking the oil filter out complete it can be left in and the whole filter plate removed by undoing the center mounting bolt. The filter assembly with the element will then come down from the crankcase. Take off the rubber gaskets and remove the filter element.
CHAPTER 6 | ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
FUSE LOCATION AND REPLACEMENT
- A fuse is incorporated in the electrical system. It is contained in a plastic holder and clips to the side of the battery holder.
The fuse is incorporated in the system to give protection from a sudden overload such as could happen with a short circuit. The fuse is rated at 20amps.
- If the fuse blows it should not be replaced until the cause of the short is found. This will involve checking the electric circuit to correct the fault. If this rule is not observed, the fuse will almost certainly blow again.
- When a fuse blows and no spare is available a +ACI-get you home remedy+ACI- is to wrap the fuse in silver paper before replacing it in the fuse holder. The silver paper will restore electrical continuity by bridging the broken wire to the fuse.
Replace the doctored fuse at the earliest opportunity to restore full circuit protection. Make sure any short circuit is eliminated first.
- Always carry two spare fuses of the correct rating.
STARTER MOTOR: REMOVAL, EXAMINATION AND REPLACEMENT
- An electric starter is fitted to the Z1 models operated by a push button switch on the body of the right-hand twist grip.
The starter motor is mounted on the top of the crankcase, to the rear of the cylinder block, and is accessible by removing the cover that is held by two bolts that go through he end bracket and secure the motor to the crankcase.
Remove the fuel tank, carburetors, starter cover and gasket, also the left-hand engine cover. Remove the right-hand side cover, unscrew the starter wire from the starter relay terminal, and free the wire from the cable clamp.
Unscrew the two mounting bolts and the starter motor can now be removed.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
- Engine, Clutch, Transmission: Dismantling, Reassembly
- Fuel System and Lubrication: Air Cleaner, Carburetors, Chain Lubrication
- Ignition System: Condensers, Contact Breakers, Alternator, Spark Plugs
- Frame and Forks: Examination, Renovation
- Wheels, Brakes and Tires
- Electrical System: Alternator, Battery, Fuses, Voltage Regulator
- Wiring Diagrams
- The Z900 and Z1000 Models
Subject: 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977 Kawasaki Z/KZ 900/1000 Fours service, repair. ISBN-10: 1850106231 | ISBN-13: 9781850106234 | Haynes 222
- Publisher: Haynes Manuals
- Pages: 152 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.5 x 11 inches
- ISBN: 978-1-85010-623-4