This Chilton DIY repair and service manual covers 1984-1995 Honda Civic, CRX, and Honda del Sol, all U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1984-1995 Honda Civic, CRX, del Sol Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE REBUILDING
OIL PUMP | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 136, 137 and 138)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Bring the No. 1 cylinder to TDC. The mark on the crankshaft pulley should align with the index mark on the timing cover.
- Remove the necessary accessory drive belts and the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the valve cover and the timing belt covers.
- Remove the following components:
- Timing belt tensioner.
- Timing belt.
- Timing belt drive pulley.
- Remove the oil pan and oil screen.
- Remove the oil pump mount bolts and the oil pump assembly.
- Apply a light coat of oil to the seal lip.
- Install the two dowel pins and new O-ring on the cylinder block.
- Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and dry and apply liquid gasket to the cylinder block mating surfaces of the oil pump. Do NOT apply liquid gasket to the O-ring grooves.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and support on jackstands.
- Remove the U-bolt assembly and the rubber insulators from the hanger brackets and remove the muffler assembly. Slide the muffler assembly toward the rear of the car to disconnect it from the exhaust pipe.
- Replace parts as needed.
- Position the muffler assembly under the car and slide it forward onto the exhaust pipe. Check the slot in the muffler and the tab on the exhaust pipe are fully engaged. Make sure that the gaskets are positioned properly. Tighten the muffler-to-exhaust pipe bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22Nm).
- Install the rubber insulators on the hanger assemblies. Install the U-bolt and tighten.
- Check the system for leaks. Lower the vehicle.
Subject: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Honda Civic, CRX, del Sol service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801986834 | ISBN-13: 9780801986833 | Chilton 30200