This DIY repair manual by Haynes, covers 1979-1993 Dodge Ram 50/D-50, Plymouth Arrow pick-up trucks, and 1979-1993 Dodge Raider, 2WD and 4WD models.
Note: This manual does not include diesel engine information.
Book Excerpt: 1979-1993 Dodge Ram 50, D-50 Pick-up Truck, Raider, Plymouth Arrow Repair Manual
3.0L V6 ENGINE
HYDRAULIC LASH ADJUSTERS | CHECK, REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
TABLE of CONTENTS:
CHECK (Refer to illustration 6.1)
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 6.4)
- Check the hydraulic lash adjusters for freeplay by inserting a small wire through the air bleed hole in the rocker arm while lightly pushing the check ball down (see illustration).
- While lightly holding the check ball down, move the rocker arm up and down to check for freeplay. There should be a small amount of movement. If there is no freeplay, replace the adjuster with a new unit.
- Remove the valve cover(s) (see Section 4) and the rocker arm shaft components (see Section 5).
- Pull the hydraulic lash adjuster(s) out of the rocker arm(s) (see illustration). Note: Be sure to label each rocker arm and adjuster and place them in a partitioned box or something suitable to keep them from getting mixed with each other.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
INTAKE MANIFOLD | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 7.13)
- Relieve the fuel system pressure (see Chapter 4).
- Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery.
- Drain the cooling system (don't forget to drain the cylinder block) (see Chapter 1).
- Remove the air cleaner-to-throttle body inlet hose (see Chapter 4).
- Remove the spark plug wires and distributor cap. Be sure to mark the spark plug wires for proper reinstallation (see Chapter 1).
- Remove the throttle cable and transaxle kickdown linkage (see Chapter 4 and 7B).
- Remove the Idle Speed Control (ISC) motor and throttle position sensor (TPS) electrical connectors from the throttle body.
- Remove the EGR tube flange from the air intake plenum.
- Label and detach any vacuum liens from the throttle body.
- Detach the fuel lines from the fuel rail (see Chapter 4).
- Remove the throttle body, air intake plenum and the fuel injectors (see Chapter 4).
- Label and remove any remaining hoses, wires or cables attached to the intake manifold or its components.
- Loosen the manifold mounting bolts/nuts in 1/4-turn increments until they can be removed by hand. Loosen the outer bolts first, then the inner bolts (see illustration).
- The manifold will probably be stuck to the cylinder heads and force may be required to break the gasket seal. Caution: Don't pry between the manifold and the heads or damage to the gasket sealing surfaces may occur, leading to vacuum leaks.
- Introduction: Vehicle identification numbers; Buying parts; Maintenance techniques, and more.
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
Subject: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Dodge Ram, Plymouth service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563920859 | ISBN-13: 9781563920851 | Haynes 30045