This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 1990-2000 Mazda 323 and Mazda Protege models.
Note: this manual does not include information specific to 4WD models.
Book Excerpt: 1990-2000 Mazda 323, Protege Repair Manual
COOLING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
BLOWER MOTOR AND CIRCUIT | CHECK AND COMPONENT REPLACEMENT
SUSPENSION AND STEERING SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustrations 10.1, 10.2, 10.6a, 10.6c and 10.6d)
- On 1990 through 2000 models, remove the trim panel underneath the glove box. On 2001 through 203 models, remove the glove box (see Chapter 11).
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the blower motor.
- Remove the three screws retaining the blower motor to the housing.
- Withdraw the blower motor straight down and out of the housing (see illustration).
- To remove the blower fan, remove the fastener from the shaft and withdraw the fan from the motor.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
HEATER CORE | REPLACEMENT
MODELS WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING
(Refer to illustrations 12.5, 12.6 and 12.9)
- Remove the seal plate on the right side of the heater unit by unlatching the seal plate latch (see illustration).
- Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core by unlocking the hose connections at the firewall (see illustration). Keep plenty of towels or rags on the carpeting to catch any coolant that may drip.
- Remove the three nuts from the studs retaining the heater unit to the dash.
- Remove the heater unit from the dash. The seal plate will come out with the heater unit as an assembly.
- Remove the heater core from the heater unit (see illustration).
- Reassembly is the reverse of removal. When installing the heater hoses on the heater core, make sure the hose connectors are securely locked.
STRUT ROD (REAR) | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
TABLE of CONTENTS:
(Refer to illustrations 11.3 and 11.4)
- There is one trailing strut rod on each rear wheel, attached with bushings forward of the rear wheel and running back to the rear wheel carrier.
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts, raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Remove the wheel. If the vehicle is equipped with ABS, remove the clamp bracket bolt to detach the speed sensor wiring harness from the strut.
- Remove the strut rod-to-spindle bolt (see illustration). On 1995 and later models, remove the parking brake cable bracket (see illustration 12.1b).
- Remove the strut rod-to-body bracket bolt (see illustration) and detach the rod from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, but don't tighten the bolts until the suspension is raised by a jack to simulate normal ride height. Be sure to tighten the bolts to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
Introduction: Vehicle identification numbers. Buying parts. Safety. Maintenance techniques. Chemical and lubricants, and more.
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- General engine overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
Subject: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Mazda 323, Protege service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563924439 | ISBN-13: 9781563924439 | Haynes 61015