- Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat, 1996-2003
- Yamaha FZS600 Fazer, 1998-2003
- Yamaha FZS600S Fazer, 2001
Book Excerpt: 1996-2003 Yamaha YZF600R, FZS600 Fazer Repair Manual ENGINE, CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION
CRANKCASE HALVES | INSPECTION AND SERVICING
- After the crankcase have been separated, remove the crankshaft, cam chain and tension blade, transmission shafts and selector drum and forks, and any other components or assemblies not already removed, referring to the relevant Sections of this and other Chapters (see Steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 in Section 23). Also remove oil passage nozzle and its O-ring (see illustration). Discard the O-ring as a new one must be used.
- The crankcase should be cleaned thoroughly with new solvent and dried with compressed air. All oil passages and oil nozzles should be blown out with compressed air.
- All traces of old gasket sealant should be removed from the matting surfaces. Minor damage to the surfaces can be cleaned up with a fine sharpening stone or grindstone. Check both crankcase halves very carefully for cracks and other damage. Caution: Be very careful not to nick or gouge the crankcase mating surfaces or oil leaks will result.
- Small cracks or holes in aluminum castings may be repaired with an epoxy resin adhesive as a temporary measure. Permanent repairs can only be effected by argon-arc welding, and only a specialist in the process is in a position to advise on the economy or practical aspect of such a repair. If any damage is found that can?t be repaired, replace the crankcase halves as a set.
- Damaged threads can be economically reclaimed by using a diamond section wire insert, of the Heli-coil type, which is easily fitted after drilling and re-tapping the affected thread.
STARTER RELAY | CHECK AND REPLACEMENT CHECK
- If the starter circuit is faulty, first check the fuse (see Section 5).
- Remove the seat (see Chapter8). The starter relay is located behind the battery. Lift the rubber terminal cover and unscrew the bolt securing the starter motor lead (see illustration); position the lead away from the relay terminal. With the ignition switch ?ON?, the engine kill switch in the "RUN" position, and the transmission in neutral, press the starter switch. The relay should be heard to click.
- If the relay doesn?t click, switch off the ignition and remove the relay as described below; test it as follows.
Subject: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat, FZS600 Fazer, FZS600S Fazer service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1844251527 | ISBN-13: 9781844251520 | Haynes 3702
- Routine maintenance and servicing
- Lubricants and fluids
- Maintenance schedule
- Component locations
- Maintenance procedures
- Engine, clutch and transmission
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Ignition system
- Frame and suspension
- Brakes, wheels and final drive
- Fairing and bodywork
- Electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Tools and workshop tips