The 2001-2005 Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer repair manual by Haynes, covers the following sportbike models:
Book Excerpt: 2001-2005 Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer Repair Manual
- Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer, 2001-2005
- Yamaha FZS1000S Fazer, 2003-2005
ENGINE, CLUTCH AND TRANSMISSION
ENGINE DISASSEMBLY AND REASSEMBLY GENERAL INFORMATION
- When disassembling the engine, keep "mated" parts together (including gears, pistons, connecting rods, valves, etc. that have been in contact with each other during engine operation).
These "mated" parts must be reused or replaced as an assembly. It is worth obtaining a large sheet of card and marking it according to the layout of the engine so that parts can be placed on it and stored in relation to their position in the engine as they are removed.
- A complete engine/transmission disassembly should be done in the following general order with reference to the appropriate Sections (or Chapters, where indicated).
- Remove the valve cover.
- Remove the camshafts.
- Remove the cylinder head.
- Remove the clutch and starter clutch.
- Remove the pick-up coil assembly (see Chapter 5).
- Remove the alternator (see Chapter 9).
- Remove the starter motor (see Chapter 9).
- Remove the gearchange mechanism.
- Remove the oil sump.
- Remove the oil pump/water pump.
- Remove the crankcase halves.
- Remove the crankshaft.
- Remove the connecting rods and pistons.
- Remove the transmission output shaft.
- Remove the selector drum and forks.
- Remove the transmission input shaft.
THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING
- The thermostat is automatic in operation and should give many years service without requiring attention.
In the event of a failure, the valve will probably jam open, in which case the engine will take much longer than normal to warm up.
Conversely, if the valve jams shut, the coolant will be unable to circulate and the engine will overheat. Neither condition is acceptable and the fault must be investigated promptly.
- Remove the thermostat (see below).
- Examine the thermostat visually before carrying out the test. If it remains in the open position at room temperature, replace it with a new one.
Subject: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1844252876 | ISBN-13: 9781844252879 | Haynes 4287