This repair and service manual covers 1992-2002 Volvo Penta Stern Drives, all gasoline engines and drive systems.
Book Excerpt: 1992-2002 Volvo Penta Stern Drives Repair Manual
- Volvo Penta 3.0L 181 cu. in. 4-cylinder (3.0GL, 3.0GS)
- GM V6 (Volvo Penta 4.3L 262 cu.in. also known as the 430, 431, 432, 434, 4.3GL, 4.3GS, 4.3Gi, and 4.3GXi)
- GM V8 (Volvo Penta 5.0L 305 cu.in. and 5.7L 350 cu. in. small blocks) used in the following configurations: 500, 501, AQ211, 5.0GL, 5.0Gi, 5.0GXi, 570, 571, 572, AQ271, AQ311, 5.7GL, 5.7GLi, 5.7GS, 5.7GSi, 5.7Gi, 5.7GXi
- GM V8 (Volvo Penta 7.4L 454 cu.in., 8.1L 496 cu. in. and 8.2L 502 cu.in big blocks) used in the following configurations: 740, 7.4GL, 7.4Gi, 7.4GSi, 8.1Gi, 8.1GSi, 8.1GXi, 8.2GL, 8.2GSi, DPX375, DPX385, DPX415, DPX420, DPX500, DPX525, DPX600
- Ford V8 (Volvo Penta 5.0L 302 cu. in. and 5.8L 352 cu. in.) used in the following configurations: 5.0FL, 5.0Fi, 5.8FL, 5.8Fi, 5.8FSi
Satisfactory performance and maximum enjoyment can be realized if a little time is spent in commissioning your boat in the spring. Assuming you have followed the steps we recommended to winterize your vessel (in addition to any the manufacturer specifies) and the unit has been properly stored, a minimum amount of work should be required to prepare it for use.
SPRING COMMISSIONING CHECKLIST
After performing the spring commissioning and testing the boat on the water, it is a good idea to perform a full tune-up. Remember, you are relying on your engine to get you where you want to go. Treat it good now and it will treat you good later.
The following steps outline a logical sequence of tasks to be performed before starting your engine for the first time in a new season.
- Pick up the checklist you made to remind yourself of just what maintenance needs to be done prior to starting the engine in the spring. You did remember to write yourself a checklist....right?
- INSTALL THE DRAIN PLUG IF REMOVED!
- Remove the cover placed over the engine last winter. Unseal any engine openings (air inlet, breathers, exhaust) previously sealed.
- Replace all zincs.
- If you took our advice, you removed the battery for the winter. While it was in storage, you should have kept it fully charged, it should be ready to go. So install the battery and connect the battery cables. Treat battery and cable terminals with petroleum jelly, silicone grease, or a heavyduty corrosion inhibitor. Capacity test the batteries.
- Tighten the alternator and other belts.
- As you did in the winter, inspect all hoses for signs of softening, cracking or bulging, especially those routinely exposed to high heat. Check hose clamps for tightness and corrosion.
- Ensure the exhaust manifolds are tight.
- On closed system engines, check the condition of the coolant mixture with a coolant tester and adjust the mixture by adding antifreeze or water.
Step-by-step illustrated keyed procedures guide you through every conceivable job possible, including all adjustments necessary. Perfect for do-it-yourselfers, professional mechanics, or students.
Subject: 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Volvo Penta Stern Drives service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0893300578 | ISBN-13: 9780893300579