This DIY repair and shop manual by Haynes, covers 1986-1999 Toyota Celica front-wheel drive (FWD) models.
Celica models are available in two-door sedan and lift-back body styles.
Note: This manual does not include 4WD (All-Trac) model information.
Book Excerpt: 1986-1999 Toyota Celica Repair Manual
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 11.24)
- Remove the fuel tank cap and detach the cable from the negative terminal of the battery. Caution: If the stereo in your vehicle is equipped with anti-theft system, refer to the information on page 0-15 at the front of this manual before detaching the cable.
- Detach the vacuum sensing hose.
- Place a metal container or shop towel under the fuel return line banjo fitting. Also cover the banjo bolt with a rag to catch any fuel that may spray out.
- Slowly loosen the banjo bolt, then remove it along with the crush washers and discard the crush washers or loosen the hose clamp and detach the fuel return hose from the regulator.
- Remove the pressure regulator mounting bolts (see illustration) and detach the pressure regulator from the fuel rail.
INSTALLATION (Refer to illustration 11.25)
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to use new crush washers and make sure that the pressure regulator is installed properly on the fuel rail (see illustration).
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.
WHEEL CYLINDER | REMOVAL, OVERHAUL AND INSTALLATION
NOTE: If an overhaul is indicated (usually because of fluid leaks or sticky operation), explore all options before beginning the job. New wheel cylinders are available, which makes this job quite easy.
If it's decided to rebuild the wheel cylinder, make sure a rebuild kit is available before proceeding. Never overhaul only one wheel cylinder - always rebuild both of them at the same time.
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 7.4)
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands. Block the front wheels to keep the vehicle from rolling.
- Remove the brake shoe assembly (see Section 6).
- Remove all dirt and foreign material from around the wheel cylinder.
- Disconnect the brake line with a flare-nut wrench, if available (see illustration). Don't pull the brake line away from the wheel cylinder.
- Remove the wheel cylinder mounting bolts.
- Detach the wheel cylinder from the brake backing plate and place it on a clean workbench. Immediately plug the brake line to prevent fluid loss and contamination.
OVERHAUL (Refer to illustration 7.7)
- Remove the bleeder screw, cups, pistons, boots and spring assembly from the wheel cylinder body (see illustration).
- Clean the wheel cylinder with brake fluid, denatured alcohol or brake system cleaner. Warning: Do not, under any circumstances, use petroleum-based solvents to clean brake parts!
Subject: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 Toyota Celica FWD service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563923971 | ISBN-13: 9781563923975 | Haynes 92020