This complete and extensively illustrated maintenance manual covers virtually every area of powerboat maintenance.
Step-by-step procedures, along with hundreds of illustrations and photographs help boating enthusiasts maintain their boats and onboard equipment, lower repair costs and generally improve operating satisfaction.
Book Excerpt: Powerboat Maintenance Manual
LUBRICATION - DRIVE UNITS
Manufacturers differ in their recommendation to flush an outboard motor. The best advice is to flush the engine after each use, particularly in saltwater or very silty water. Special flushing attachments to connect a garden hose to the motor are available. Here is a general procedure that should work for almost any outboard motor.
- Attach a flushing device according to its manufacturer's instructions.
- Connect a garden hose between a water tap and the flushing device. See Figure 7.
- Open the water tap partially. Do not use full pressure.
- Shift into NEUTRAL, then start the engine. Keep the engine at idle speed.
- Adjust the water flow so that there is a slight loss of water around the rubber cups of the flushing device.
- Check the engine to make sure that water is emerging from the "tell-tale" nozzle. If not, stop the engine immediately and determine the cuase of the problem.
CHANGING DRIVE UNIT OIL
Oil in the drive unit must be changed at least every 100 hours of operation. Most models have a screw-in drain plug at the bottom of the unit. On some, there is a separate filler hole, though others use the drain as a filler hole. See the owner's manual or shop manual for your engine for details.
Use the special lubricant recommended by the manufacturer. Don't make any substitutes.
CAUTION: Do not use regular automotive gear lube in the lower drive unit. Its expansion and foam characteristics are not suitable for marine use.
LINKAGES AND CABLES
Throttle and choke linkage to the carburetor, and gear shift linkage and steering cables (if equipped), must be lubricated every 100 hours. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for lubricants.
Our easy-to-use marine shop manuals can save you money in repair and maintenance bills. Step-by-step procedures and detailed illustrations guide you through every job.
Subject: Powerboat maintenance and service manual for DIY mechanics. ISBN-10: 0892876549 | ISBN-13: 9780892876549