This Chilton DIY repair and service manual, covers 1985-1992 Nissan Maxima, U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1985-1992 Nissan Maxima Repair Manual
SUSPENSION AND STEERING
(See Figures 12, 13, 42 and 43)
The detonation sensor is attached to the right side of the cylinder block for 1989-92 VG30E engine or top center of the cylinder block for 1992 VE30DE engine, and senses engine knocking conditions.
A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is applied as pressure to the piezo-electric element. This vibrational pressure is then converted into a voltage signal which is delivered as output.
FUEL TEMPERATURE SENSOR | 1985-1988
(See Figures 9 and 10)
A fuel temperature sensor is built into the fuel pressure regulator for 1985-88. When the fuel temperature is higher than the preprogrammed level, the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) will enrich the fuel injected to compensate for temperature expansion.
The temperature sensor and pressure regulator should be replaced as an assembly if either malfunctions. The electric fuel pump with an integral damper is installed in the fuel tank. It is a vane roller type with the electric motor cooled by the fuel itself.
The fuel filter is of metal construction in order to withstand the high fuel system pressure. The fuel pump develops 61-71 psi but the pressure regulator keeps system pressure at 36 psi in operation.
(See Figures 9, 10, 34 and 44)
The ignition signal from the ECU is amplified by the power transistor, which turns the ignition coil primary circuit ON and OFF, inducing the necessary high voltage in the secondary circuit to fire the spark plugs.
Ignition timing is controlled according to engine operating conditions, with the optimum timing advance for each driving condition preprogrammed into the ECU memory.
STEERING WHEEL REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (EXCEPT 1992 with Air Bag)
(See Figures 54, 55 and 56)
- Position the wheels in the straight-ahead direction. The steering wheel should be right side up and level.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Pull out the horn pad. If the vehicle has a horn wire running from the pad to the steering wheel, disconnect it.
- Remove the rest of the horn switching mechanism, noting the relative location of the parts. Remove the mechanism only if it hinders subsequent wheel removal procedures.
- Matchmark the top of the steering column shaft and the steering wheel flange.
- Remove the steering wheel-to-steering column nut. Using the steering wheel puller tool ST27180001 or equivalent, pull the steering wheel from the steering column. Do not strike the shaft with a hammer, as this might cause the column to collapse.
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Nissan Maxima service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801982618 | ISBN-13: 9780801982613 | Chilton 52450