The 2003-2008 Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35 DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, provides complete maintenance, service and repair information for these cars.
Note: This manual does not include Infiniti G37 models.
Book Excerpt: 2003-2008 Nissan 350Z, Infiniti G35 Repair Manual
This manual covers the Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35. Both models feature a 3.5L Dual Overhead Camshaft (DOHC) V6 engine.
3.5L V6 ENGINE
The engine drives the rear wheels through either a six-speed manual or a five-speed automatic transmission via a driveshaft, rear differential, and two rear driveaxles. On AWD models, the front wheels are also propelled, via two driveaxles.
Suspension is independent at all four wheels. The front suspension uses upper and lower control arms and shock absorber/coil spring assemblies.
The rear suspension system is a multi-link suspension consisting of shock absorbers, coil springs and several specialized links.
The steering system consists of a rack-and-pinion steering gear.
All models are equipped with hydraulically operated front and rear disc brake systems.
VALVE CLEARANCE | CHECK AND ADJUSTMENT
(Refer to illustrations 5.6a, 5.6b, 5.7, 5.8 and 5.10)
NOTE: The manufacturer recommends adjusting the valve clearance at the specified interval only in the valve train is making excessive noise.
- Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery (see Chapter 5, Section 1).
- Remove the valve cover (see Section 4).
- On manual transmission vehicles, set the parking brake and place the transmission in the neutral position. On automatic transmission models, place the transmission in Park.
- Remove the spark plugs (see Chapter 1).
- Position the number 1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke and align the timing marks (see Section 3).
- Measure the clearance of the indicated valves with a feeler gauge (see illustrations). Record each measurement and compare your measurements with the desired valve clearance found in this Chapter's Specifications.
Note which are out of specification, as this data will be used later to determine the required replacement lifters.
- Turn the crankshaft 240 degrees clockwise. Measure and record the clearances of the indicated valves (see illustration).
- Turn the crankshaft as additional 240 degrees clockwise. Measure and record the clearances of the indicated valves (see illustration).
Subject: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563927233 | ISBN-13: 9781563927232 | Haynes 72011