This Seloc repair manual covers 1990-2000 Mercury Mariner outboard motors, 2.5-275 HP, 1-6 cylinder, 2-stroke.
Book Excerpt: 1990-2000 Mercury Mariner Outboard Motor Repair Manual, 2.5-275 HP, 1-6 Cylinder 2-Stroke Models
6 HP, 8 HP, 9.9 HP, 10 HP AND 15 HP MODELS
The 6, 8, 9.9, 10 and 15 hp models are equipped with a Walbro "WM" or "WMC" carburetor with integral fuel pump. The WM and WMC carburetors can be identified by the embossed letters on the mounting flange.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 59 and 60)
- Slightly inboard of the lower engine cowling and slightly to the right (when looking at the front of the motor) of the choke/primer knob, locate the primer cam retaining screw, then loosen and remove the screw.
- Using a pair of pliers, remove the circlip securing the choke knob in place.
- While pushing downward on the choke arm, remove the choke knob (along with the bezel and slide block) by pulling them straight out.
-Note the orientation of the choke knob slide block since on some models it could be inserted upside-down, in which case, the slot that actuates the primer would be on the bottom back instead of the top front.
- Unsnap the idle wire from the fast idle lever.
- Using a pair of snips, cut the Sta-Strap from the fuel hose to the carburetor. Pull the fuel line free of the fitting.
- Remove the 2 carburetor mounting fasteners (usually nuts on these models) and lift the carburetor off the powerhead. If equipped, tag and disconnect the bleed hose from the fitting on the carburetor.
- If necessary, remove the primer bracket from the carburetor.
JET DRIVE ASSEMBLY
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See accompanying illustrations)
- Remove the two bolts and retainer securing the shift cable to the shift cable support bracket.
- Remove the locknut, bolt and washer securing the shift cable to the shift arm. Try not to disturb the length of the cable.
- Remove the six bolts securing the intake grille to the jet casing.
- Ease the intake grille from the jet drive housing.
- Pry the tab or tabs of the tabbed washer away from the nut to allow the nut to be removed.
- Loosen and then remove the nut.
- Remove the tabbed washer and spacers. Make a careful count of the spacers behind the washer. If the unit is relatively new, there could be as many as eight spacers stacked together.
If less than eight spacers are removed from behind the washer, the others will be found behind the jet impeller, which is removed in the following step. A total of eight spacers will be found.
Subject: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Mercury Mariner Outboard 2.5-275 HP, 1-6 Cylinder 2-Stroke Models service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0893300519 | ISBN-13: 9780893300517 | Seloc 1416