This Seloc repair manual covers 1965-1989 Mercury Outboard 2-40 HP, 1- and 2-cylinder, 2-stroke motors.
Step-by-step illustrated keyed procedures guide you through every conceivable job possible, including all adjustments necessary. Perfect for do-it-yourselfers, professional mechanics, or students.
Book Excerpt: 1965-1989 Mercury 2-40 HP 1-2 Cylinder 2-Stroke Repair Manual
TIMING AND SYNCHRONIZING: IDLE RETARD ADJUSTMENT
6-11 Model 4 1976-1981
POWERHEAD: POWERHEAD "A" INSTALLATION
- Remove the engine cowling. Move the throttle lever to the full retard position and the carburetor shutter plate to the fully closed position. Loosen the throttle cam adjustment screw.
Adjust the throttle cam until 0.005-0.015" (.1-.3mm) clearance is obtained between the throttle cam and the cluster pin. Tighten the adjustment screw securely to hold this adjustment.
Loosen the retard cable jam nuts, and then adjust the cable until approximately 3-4 thread (about 1/8") (3.2mm) are exposed. Tighten the jam nuts securely to hold this adjustment.
Hold the twist gap against the idle stop and at the same time adjust the advance cable until there is no slack in the cable. Tighten the jam nuts securely to hold this adjustment.
- Install the bottom and top seal onto the driveshaft. Apply a small amount of Multilubricant onto the driveshaft splines. Wipe the top of the driveshaft clean so excessive lubricant will not be trapped in the clearance space between the crankshaft and the driveshaft.
Any trapped lubricant will cause an excessive pre-load between the shafts when the gear housing nuts are tightened. An excessive pre-load will cause damage to either the gear housing or the powerhead, or both when the powerhead is operated.
- Position a NEW gasket onto the bottom of the powerhead. Place the powerhead onto the exhaust housing.
- Thread the nuts onto the powerhead studs and tighten them to the torque value listed in the Appendix in three successive stages.
- Install the exhaust housing cover, if one is used.
Subject: 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 Mercury 2-40 HP 1-2 Cylinder 2-Stroke service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0893300128 | ISBN-13: 9780893300128 | Seloc 1404