The 1970-2010 Lincoln repair and service manual by Haynes, covers rear-wheel drive models, including:
- Continental, 1970-1987
- Mark Series (III, IV, V, VI, VII), 1970-1992
- Town Car, 1981-2010
Note: The manual does not include Versailles models, V6 or diesel engine information.
Book Excerpt: Lincoln Continental 1970-1987, Mark Series 1970-1992, Town Car 1981-2010 Repair Manual
COOLING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
HEATER BLOWER MOTOR | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL (All except '82-'87 Continental and '84-'92 Mark VII) (Refer to illustrations 10.1a and 10.1b)
- Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector from the motor (see illustrations).
- Remove the cooling tube from the underside of the blower motor. On 1997 and later models, refer to Chapter 11 and remove the plastic liner from the passenger-side fenderwell for access. Remove the coolant recovery tank (see Section 5).
- Remove the retaining screws from the blower motor mounting plate.
- Turn the blower motor slightly to the right so that the bottom edge of the mounting plate aligns with the contour of the wheel well splash panel. While still in the blower housing, lift the motor assembly up and maneuver it out of the heater housing assembly.
INSTALLATION (Refer to illustration 10.5)
- Position the motor and fan assembly so that the bottom edge (the straight portion) follows the contour of the wheel well splash panel.
NOTE: If the blower motor is being replaced, the fan wheel should be transferred to the new motor at this time (see illustration). It is attached to the blower motor shaft with a push nut.
Grasp the nut with pliers and pull it off or get a small screw driver under it and pry it off, being careful not to crack the push nut. To reinstall the nut, simply push it on to the shaft.
BRAKE DISC | INSPECTION, REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL (Refer to illustration 5.7)
- On pre-1991 vehicles, the front brake disc is also the front hub; refer to the "Front wheel bearing check, repack and adjustment" Section in Chapter 1.
On 1991 and later vehicles, remove the lug nuts that are temporarily holding the disc to the hub and lift off the disc (see illustration). Mark the relationship between the disc and the hub, then lift the disc of the hub assembly.
On 1998 and 1999 models, the disc is secured to the hub with two rivets. Drive the center mandrels out of the rivets with a punch, then use a 3/8-inch drill to remove the heads of the rivets for disc removal.
The rear brake discs on all vehicles are removed in the same manner as 1991 and later front discs.
- Install the disc onto the hub assembly.
- Install the anchor plate and new bolts, if equipped. Torque the bolts to the Specifications listed in this Chapter.
- Install the brake pads and caliper assembly over the disc and position it on the steering knuckle (front), or on the torque plate (rear) (see Section 3). Install the caliper bolts and tighten them to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
Subject: 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Lincoln Continental, Mark Series, Town Car service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563928124 | ISBN-13: 9781563928123 | Haynes 59010