The 1988-1994 Jaguar repair and service manual by Haynes, covers all XJ6, Jaguar Vanden Plas, and Jaguar Sovereign models.
Book Excerpt: 1988-1994 Jaguar XJ6, Vanden Plas, Sovereign Repair Manual
AUXILIARY SHAFT | REPLACEMENT
(Refer to illustrations 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 9.8, 9.9, 9.10 and 9.11)
CAUTION: If the stereo in your vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft system, make sure you have the correct activation code before disconnecting the battery.
- Refer to Chapter 10 and remove the power steering pump, without disconnecting the hoses. Remove the plastic power steering pump drive coupling disc.
- Refer to Section 8 and remove the front cover and upper and lower timing chains.
- Remove the power steering drive coupling from the auxiliary shaft (see illustration).
- Use a small drill to drill holes in the oil seal, then use a slide-hammer puller to remove the seal from the rear of the auxiliary shaft housing (see illustration). Caution: Drill straight and carefully to avoid damaging the auxiliary shaft.
- Use a pair of snap-ring pliers to remove the snap ring from the rear of the auxiliary shaft (see illustration).
- Pull the auxiliary shaft out toward the front of the engine.
- Remove the three internal hex-head bolts and the auxiliary shaft housing.
- Examine the surface of the auxiliary shaft, its sprocket, and the distributor drive-gear. If there is noticeable wear or damage, replace the auxiliary shaft assembly with a new one (see illustration).
SHIFT CABLE | REPLACEMENT AND ADJUSTMENT
(Refer to illustrations 4.2, 4.4 and 4.7)
Note: The illustrations accompanying this procedure depict a 1988 or 1989 model, which uses a linear type Neutral start/back-up light switch.
If you are replacing or adjusting the shift cable on a 1990 or late model, you'll see a rotary type Neutral start/back-up light switch at the manual lever shaft on the transmission.
But even though it appears different at the transmission end of the cable, the cable replacement and adjustment procedures are identical.
- Remove the center console (see Chapter 11).
- Detach the cable from the shift lever (see illustration).
- Raise the vehicle and place it securely on jackstands.
- Remove the bolts securing the cable bracket to the transmission (see illustration).
Some early models may be equipped with a slightly different bracket than shown; on these models, the cable is attached to the bracket by a clamp and bolt, it's not necessary to remove the bracket - simply remove the bolt and clamp and detach the cable from the bracket.
Subject: 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Jaguar XJ6, Vanden Plas, Sovereign service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563922371 | ISBN-13: 978156392-2374 | Haynes 49011