The 1981-1987 Honda CR250R, CR450R, CR480R, CR500R Pro-Link repair manual by Clymer, covers models indicated, including:
Book Excerpt: 1981-1987 Honda CR250R, CR450R, CR480R, CR500R Repair Manual
- Honda CR250R 1981-1987
- Honda CR450R 1981
- Honda CR480R 1982-1983
- Honda CR500R 1984-1987
This chapter contains information for removal, inspection, service and reassembly of the air-cooled engines used on the following models.
FRONT SUSPENSION AND STEERING
Although the clutch and transmission are located within the engine, they are covered in Chapter Six to simplify this material. Alternator service procedures are covered in Chapter Eight.
- 1981 CR450R.
- 1982-1983 CR480R.
- 1984 CR500R.
Before beginning any engine work, reread the service hints in Chapter One. You will do a better job with this information fresh in your mind.
Table 1 and Table 2 at the end of the chapter provide specifications and tightening torque values.
ENGINE OPERATING PRINCIPLES
Figure 1 explains how the engine works. This will be helpful when troubleshooting or repairing the engine.
Lubrication for the engine is provided by the fuel/oil mixture used to power the engine. There is no oil supply in the crankcase as it would be drawn into the cylinder and foul the spark plug.
There is sufficient oil in the mixture to lubricate both the crankshaft bearings and the cylinder. The clutch and transmission have their own oil supply.
The steering head uses assembled roller bearings. Refer to Figure 45 for the following procedures.
- Remove the front wheel as described in this chapter.
- Remove the handlebar as described in this chapter.
- Remove the bolts securing the front fender and remove the fender.
- Remove the bolts and washers securing the front number plate and remove the number plate.
- Remove the front forks as described in this chapter.
- Loosen the steering stem nut and washer.
- Remove the upper fork bridge assembly.
- Remove the steering head adjusting nut. Use a large drift and hammer or use the easily improvised tool shown in Figure 46.
- Lower the steering stem assembly down and out of the steering head (Figure 47).
Subject: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 Honda CR250-500R Pro-Link service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0892874643 | ISBN-13: 9780892874644 | Clymer M443