You’ve finished reassembling the 2-4 servo in that THM 4L60-E. You made sure the dimensions of the second apply piston and housing are compatible with the other components. You used the J-22269-01 tool to compress the cushion spring and installed the servo return spring onto the assembly.
But, for some odd reason, you have an extra component. What happened?
Well, at this point in the operation, we’d go straight to page 97 of the GM THM 4L60-E Transmission Rebuild Repair Manual: 1993-Up to see where we went wrong. With a quick review of the step-by-step procedures that are a staple of ATSG transmission manuals, we can see immediately we didn’t miss anything. So we can get back to work.
We imagine this is how a professional would use this great book to work on GM’s 4L60-E. This manual is a thorough and focused review of the most common procedures known for repairing, maintaining and overhauling the THM 4L60-E. The GM THM 4L60-E Transmission Rebuild Repair Manual: 1993-Up has comprehensive descriptions and needed information about everything from internal electronic controls to torque specifications.
Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’re still wondering where that extra component came from…
NOTE: ATSG has an UPDATE HANDBOOK which includes changes in engineering in the 4L60-E. Between the handbook and manual, you’ll have a comprehensive resource for the overhaul and repair of this GM transmission.
The General Motors THM 4L60-E transmission (1993-Up) can be found in at least the following makes and models and there are likely other models too (check your owner's manual or identification plate):
- 1993-2005 Chevrolet Corvette
- 1993-1996 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice police specials equipped with 350 engines
- 1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
- 1993-2002 Pontiac Firebird
- 1993-2005 Chevrolet Astro
- 1993-2005 GMC Safari
- 1993-2003 Chevrolet S-10
- 1993-2003 GMC S-15, Sonoma
- 1993-2005 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer
- 1993-2001 GMC S-15 Jimmy
- 1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood, Brougham
- 2002-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
- 2002-2009 GMC Envoy
- 1993-2010 Chevrolet Suburban
- 1993-2012 Chevrolet Van
- 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala
- 1994-1996 Buick Roadmaster
- 1995-2010 Chevrolet C/K
- 1995-2010 Chevrolet Tahoe
- 1995-2010 GMC Yukon
- 1999-2006 Cadillac Escalade
- 2002-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche
- 2003-2007 Hummer H2
- 2004-2007 Buick Rainier
- 2004-2012 Chevrolet Colorado
- 2004-2012 GMC Canyon
- 1993-2006 Holden Commodore
- 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
- 2005-2009 Saab 9-7X
Subject: GM THM 4L60-E Transmission rebuild/repair procedures - 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. | ATSG THM 4L60-E
Below: GM THM 4L60-E (1993-Up) Transmission Rebuild Manual Sample Page. Copyright ATSG.