- GOING OUT OF PRINT - LIMITED QUANTITY -
This Chilton repair and service manual covers 1983-1998 Ford Thunderbird and 1983-1998 Mercury Cougar. Covers all systems, from basic maintenance and service to engine and transmission rebuild.
Book Excerpt: 1983-1997 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
INTAKE MANIFOLD | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION | 2.3L ENGINE
(See Figure 11)
UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly.
- Tag and detach the wiring at the Throttle Position (TP) sensor, air bypass valve, Knock Sensor (KS) and EGR valve.
- Tag and disconnect all vacuum lines at the manifold.
- Disconnect the throttle, speed control and kick down cables. Unbolt the bracket and position it out of the way.
- Detach the air intake and crankcase vent hoses.
- Separate the cast tube from the turbocharger.
- Remove the EGR tube.
- Unfasten the 4 upper intake manifold mounting bolts and lift off the manifold/throttle body assembly.
DRIVELINE | DRIVESHAFT AND U-JOINTS
The driveshaft is the means by which the power from the engine and transmission (in the front of the car) is transferred to the differential and rear axles, and finally to the rear wheels.
The driveshaft assembly incorporates two universal joints, one at each end, and a slip yoke at the front end of the assembly, which fits into the back of the transmission.
All driveshafts are balanced when installed in a car. It is therefore imperative that before applying undercoating to the chassis, the driveshaft and universal joint assembly be completely covered to prevent the accidental application of undercoating to the surfaces, and the subsequent loss of balance.
The universal joints are of a lube-for-life design, on 1989-92 models. The universal joints are equipped with a nylon thrust washer at the base of the bearing cup. This thrust washer controls end play, positions the needle bearings and improves grease movement in the bearing chamber.
NOTE: Other type universal joints should not be used in place of this type. Driveshaft imbalance and vibration will result.
Subject: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 Ford Thunderbird, Mercury Cougar service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801991331 | ISBN-13: 9780801991332 | Chilton 26760