The Ford Super Duty F-250 and F-350 1999-2010, Excursion 2000-2005, 2WD and 4WD repair manual by Haynes covers models indicated, with 5.4L V8 and 6.8L V10 gasoline engines, and 6.0L, 6.4L and 7.3 diesel engines.
Book Excerpt: 1999-2010 Ford Super Duty F-250 and F-350, Excursion , 2WD and 4WD Repair Manual
BODY - MAINTENANCE
- The condition of your vehicle's body is very important, because the resale value depends a great deal on it. It's much more difficult to repair a neglected or damaged body than it is to repair mechanical components.
The hidden areas of the body, such as the wheel wells, the frame and the engine compartment, are equally important, although they don't require as frequent attention as the rest of the body.
- Once a year, or every 12,000 miles, it's a good idea to have the underside of the body steam cleaned. All traces of dirt and oil will be removed and the area can then be inspected carefully for rust, damaged brake lines, frayed electrical wires, damaged cables and other problems.
The front suspension components should be greased after completion of this job.
- At the same time, clean the engine and the engine compartment with a steam cleaner or water soluble degreaser.
- The wheel wells should be given close attention, since undercoating can peel away and stones and dirt thrown up the the tires can cause the paint to chip and flake, allowing rust to set in. If rust is found, clean down to the bare metal and apply an anti-rust paint.
- The body should be washed about once a week. Wet the vehicle thoroughly to soften the dirt, then wash it down with a soft sponge and plenty of clean soapy water.
If the surplus dirt is not washed off very carefully, it can wear down the paint.
- Spots of tar or asphalt thrown up from the road should be removed with a cloth soaked in solvent.
- Once every six months, wax the body and chrome trim. If a chrome cleaner is used to remove rust from any of the vehicle's plated parts, remember that the cleaner also removes part of the chrome, so use it sparingly.
Subject: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Ford Super Duty F-250 and F-350 1999-2010, Excursion service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563928884 | ISBN-13: 9781563928888