Find a manual »
Ford Pickups F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco 2WD, 4WD Repair Manual 1973-1979
This Haynes repair manual covers 1973-1979 Ford pickup trucks, including the F-100, F-150, F-250 and F-350. It also covers 1973-1979 Bronco. All models feature 240 cid, 300 cid six-cylinder inline engines, or 302, 351, 360, 390, 400 and 460 cu. in. V8 engines.
Book Excerpt: 1973-1979 Ford Pickups F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco 2WD, 4WD Repair Manual
ENGINE ROTATES BUT WILL NOT START
- Fuel tank empty.
- Battery discharged (engine rotates slowly). Check operation of electrical components as described in previous section (see Chapter 1).
- Battery terminal connections loose or corroded. See previous section.
- Carburetor flooded and/or fuel level in carburetor incorrect. This will usually be accompanied by a strong fuel odor from under the hood. Wait a few minutes, depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, hold the pedal down and attempt to start the engine.
- Choke control inoperative (Chapter 4).
- Fuel not reaching carburetor. With ignition switch in off position, open hood, remove top plate of air cleaner assembly and observe the top of the carburetor (manually move choke plate back if necessary ). Have an assistant depress the accelerator pedal fully and check that fuel spurts into the carburetor. If not, check fuel filter (Chapters 1 and 4), fuel lines and fuel pump ( Chapter 4).
- Excessive moisture on, or damage to, ignition components ( Chapter 5).
- Worn, faulty or incorrectly adjusted spark plugs (Chapter 1).
- Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit ( see previous Section).
- Distributor loose, thus changing the ignition timing. Turn the distributor as necessary to start the engine, then set ignition timing as soon as possible (Chapter 1).
- Ignition condenser faulty (Chapter 1).
- Broken, loose or disconnected wires at the ignition coil, or faulty coil ( Chapter 5).
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Subject: 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 Ford Pickups F-150, F-250, F-350, Bronco 2WD, 4WD service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0856967882 | ISBN-13: 9780856967887
- Introduction: Vehicle identification numbers; Buying parts; Maintenance techniques, and more.
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Six cylinder inline engines
- V8 engines
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Manual transmission
- Automatic transmission
- Transfer case
- Clutch and driveline
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Haynes Manuals
- Pages: 388 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.25 x 10.75 inches
- ISBN: 978-0-85696-788-7