This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 1987-1994 Toyota Tercel, sedan and liftback models. Cars are powered by 4-cylinder SOHC engines.
Note: The manual does not include four-wheel drive or station wagon models.
Book Excerpt: 1987-1994 Toyota Tercel Repair Manual
COOLING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
BLOWER MOTOR AND CIRCUIT | CHECK, REMOVAL AND COMPONENT REPLACEMENT
CHASSIS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
BLOWER MOTOR | CHECK
(Refer to illustration 10.4)
- If the blower motor speed does not correspond to the setting selected on the blower switch, or the blower motor does not operate at all, the problem could be a bad fuse, relay, switch, blower motor resistor, blower motor or blower motor circuit wiring.
- Before checking the blower motor or circuit, always check the fuse and relay (if equipped) first (see Chapter 12).
- Remove the glove compartment and dash trim (see Chapter 11) to gain access to the heater case and blower motor.
- With the ignition key in the ON position, turn the blower switch to the faulty position(s) and, using a test light or voltmeter, check the voltage at the motor electrical connector (see illustration).
If the motor is receiving voltage but not operating, either the motor ground is bad (on these models, the blower switch and resistor are part of the ground circuit) or the motor itself is faulty or the fan in binding.
- To check for a bad ground, disconnect the electrical connector from the blower motor, connect a jumper wire between the ground wire terminal on the blower motor and a good ground, then connect a fused jumper wire between the battery positive terminal and the positive terminal on the blower motor.
If the motor now operates properly, the ground circuit is bad. If the motor does not operate, the fan is either binding or the motor is faulty.
REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER | CHECK AND REPAIR
(Refer to illustrations 12.4, 12.5 and 12.7)
- The rear window defogger consists of a number of horizontal elements baked onto the glass surface.
- Small breaks in the element can be repaired without removing the rear window.
- Turn the ignition switch and defogger system switches to On.
- When measuring voltage during the next two tests, wrap a piece of aluminum foil around the tip of the voltmeter negative probe and press the foil against the wire with your finger (see illustration).
- Check the voltage at the center of each heat wire (see illustration).
If the voltage is 5-volts, the wire is okay (there is no break).
If the voltage is 10-volts, the wire is broken between the center of the element and the positive end.
If the voltage is 0-volts the wire is broken between the center of the element and ground.
- Connect the negative lead to a good body ground. The reading should stay the same.
Subject: 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 Toyota Tercel service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563921065 | ISBN-13: 9781563921063 | Haynes 92085