This Haynes DIY repair and service manual covers all models of 1979-1992 Toyota Celica Supra automobiles.
Supras are front engine/RWD cars powered by SOHC and DOHC inline 6-cylinder engines. Most are fuel injected with later models having turbochargers.
Book Excerpt: 1979-1992 Toyota Celica Supra Repair Manual
SOHC ENGINES | 1979 THROUGH 1981 MODELS
REAR MAIN OIL SEAL | REPLACEMENT
ENGINE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
(Refer to illustrations 19.7 and 19.9)
- Remove the transmission (on vehicles with a manual transmission, see Chapter 7A; on vehicles with an automatic transmission, see Chapter 7B).
- On vehicles with a manual transmission, remove the clutch (see Chapter 8).
- Remove the flywheel/driveplate (see Section 18).
- Remove the bolts from the oil seal retainer and detach the retainer from the engine block.
- If the retainer is difficult to remove, tap it with a soft-faced hammer to break the gasket seal. Don't pry between the block and the retainer - you'll damage the gasket sealing surface.
- Using a gasket scraper, remove all traces of the old gasket from the retainer and the engine block. Be very careful not to nick or gouge the sealing surfaces of the aluminum retainer.
- Note how the seal is installed, then drive it out from the backside of the retainer by positioning a punch or screwdriver in the slot provided (see illustration).
- Clean the bore in the retainer and the outer edge of the new seal, then lay the seal in place on the retainer. Make sure the correct side is facing out.
Using a hammer and block of wood, tap the seal around its entire circumference until it is seated in the retainer. The seal must be square with the bore.
ALTERNATOR | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(Refer to illustrations 16.2a, 16.2b, 16.3a, 16.3b, 16.3c and 16.3d)
- Detach the cable from the negative terminal of the battery.
- Detach the electrical connectors from the alternator (see illustrations).
- Loosen the alternator adjustment and pivot bolts and separate the alternative from the engine.
- Remove the adjustment and pivot bolts and separate the alternator from the engine.
- If you are replacing the alternator, take the old one with you when purchasing a replacement unit. Make sure the new/rebuilt unit looks identical to the old alternator.
Look at the terminals - they should be the same in number, size and location as the terminals on the old alternator. Finally, look at the identification numbers - they will be stamped into the housing or printed on a tag attached to the housing.
Make sure the numbers are the same on both alternators.
- Many new/rebuilt alternators DO NOT have a pulley installed, so you may have to switch the pulley from the old unit to the new/rebuilt one.
When buying an alternator, find out the shop's policy regarding pulleys - some shops will perform this service free of charge.
Subject: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 Toyota Celica Supra service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563920433 | ISBN-13: 9781563920431 | Haynes 92025