The 1979-1984 Suzuki GS850, GS1000, GS1100 repair manual by Clymer covers shaft-drive models, including:
Book Excerpt: 1979-1984 Suzuki GS850, GS1000, GS1100 Repair and Service Manual
- Suzuki GS850G, 1979-1981
- Suzuki GS850GL, 1979-1983
- Suzuki GS1000G, 1980-1983
- Suzuki GS1000GL, 1981
- Suzuki GS1000G, 1982-1983
- Suzuki GS1100GL, 1982-1983
- Suzuki GS1100GK, 1982-1984
FRONT SUSPENSION AND STEERING
FRONT FORK: REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
- Remove front wheel as outlined under Front Wheel Removal.
- If removal of both fork legs is desired, remove bolts securing the other front brake caliper (Figure 27) and remove caliper. Support caliper from handlebars with a piece of wire. Do not allow caliper to hang by the hose.
- Remove 4 fender bolts and remove fender.
- If forks are being removed for service or disassembly, perform the following:
- Remove protective cap from air valve on fork cap bolt (Figure 28).
- Gently bleed off fork air pressure.
NOTE: Failure to bleed off fork air pressure gently usually results in a "quick squirt" of fork oil.
- Loosen fork cap bolt.
- Remove drain screw (Figure 29) and drain oil from each fork tube. Allow several minutes for forks to drain completely.
- Loosen upper and lower pinch bolts (Figures 30 and 31). Pull down and remove fork legs.
Transmission problems are usually indicated by one or more of the following symptoms:
Transmission symptoms are sometimes hard to distinguish from clutch symptoms. Be sure that the clutch is not causing the trouble before working on the transmission.
- Difficulty shifting gears.
- Gear clash when downshifting.
- Slipping out of gear.
- Excessive noise in neutral.
- Excessive noise in gear.
- Brake lever or pedal goes all the way to its stop - There are numerous causes for this including excessively worn pads, air in the hydraulic system, leaky brake lines, leaky calipers, or leaky or worn master cylinder.
Check for leaks and thin brake pads. Bleed the brakes. If this does not cure the trouble, rebuild the calipers and/or master cylinder.
- Spongy lever or pedal: This is normally caused by air in the system; bleed the brakes.
- Dragging brakes: Check for swollen rubber parts due to improper brake fluid or contamination, and for obstructed master cylinder bypass port. Clean or replace defective parts.
Subject: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 Suzuki GS850, GS1000, GS1100 service, maintenance, repair information. ISBN-10: 0892873051 | ISBN-13: 9780892873050 | Clymer M376