This DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers 1982-1990 Nissan Stanza Repair Manual models, powered by 1.6L (1598 cc), 1.8L (1809 cc), and 2.0L (1974 cc) 4-cylinder OHC engines.
Transmissions include a 4- and 5-speed manual and an automatic.
Note: this manual DOES NOT include information on 1986 and later station wagon models.
Book Excerpt: 1982-1990 Nissan Stanza Repair Manual
ENGINE | REASSEMBLY
FUEL, EMISSION CONTROL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
CRANKCASE, CRANKSHAFT AND MAIN BEARINGS
- Have the block standing on a flat surface with the crankcase uppermost and thoroughly clean internally.
- Bolt the baffle plate into the crankcase (photo).
- Wipe out the crankcase bearing shell seats and locate the shells noting that the flanged one which controls crankshaft endfloat is the center one (photo).
- Oil the shells liberally and then lower the crankshaft into them (photo).
- Wipe out the bearing shell seats in the main bearing caps and locate the shells (photo).
- Oil the journals and fit the caps in their numbered sequence (No. 1 at timing belt end).
- Screw in the cap bolts and tighten to the specified torque in the sequence shown (photo).
- If new bearing shells have been fitted, then the crankshaft endfloat should be as specified, but it is worth checking at this stage. If the original shells are being used again then the endfloat should certainly be checked to ensure that wear on the center bearing shell thrust flanges has not increased the crankshaft endfloat to the point where it is outside specified tolerance.
- To check the end-float, tap the crankshaft fully in one direction and measure the gap between the thrust flange of the bearing shell and the machined face of the crankshaft (photo).
- If the clearance is too large and new shells have been fitted, suspect a fault in re-grinding of the crankshaft.
- Bolt the crankshaft rear oil seal retainer into position using a new oil seal and gasket (photos).
MANIFOLDS AND EXHAUST SYSTEM
- The intake and exhaust manifolds are located on opposite sides of the cylinder head as it is of crossflow design.
- The intake manifold is coolant heated and before the manifold can be removed, the cooling system must be partially drained.
- The exhaust manifold has the hot air collector plate attached to it which is the source of warm air for the temperature-controlled air cleaner (photo).
- When removing or refitting a manifold, always use a new gasket and tighten nuts and bolts to the specified torque.
- The exhaust system used on vehicles not destined for operation in North America incorporates single or dual downpipes according to engine size, a flexible joint to absorb engine movement and an expansion box and muffler (photo).
- The exhaust system on North American models will normally incorporate a catalytic converter ahead of the muffler.
- If the complete system is to be replaced, position the vehicle over an inspection pit. If this is not possible, jack the vehicle up as high as possible and secure it on axle stands.
- Cutting through the connecting pipes will make removal in sections easier than attempting to withdraw the complete exhaust assembly.
Subject: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 Nissan Stanza service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1850106762 | ISBN-13: 9781850106760 | Haynes 72060