This DIY maintenance, service and repair manual by Haynes, covers 1994-2012 Mitsubishi Galant front-wheel drive (FWD), 4-door sedans, all models.
These cars are available with a 2.4L DOHC 4-cylinder engine, and 3.0L or 3.8L V6 engines (including MIVEC). Power is transmitted to the front wheels via either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transaxle.
Book Excerpt: 1994-2012 Mitsubishi Galant Repair Manual
CRANKSHAFT FRONT OIL SEAL | REPLACEMENT
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM | GENERAL
(Refer to illustrations 8.2, 8.3 and 8.5)
CAUTION: Do not rotate the camshafts or crankshaft when the timing belt is removed or damage to the engine may occur.
- Remove the timing belt (see Section 7).
- Remove the crankshaft timing belt sprocket using a gear puller. Remove the Woodruff key from the crankshaft keyway (see illustration).
- Wrap the tip of a small screwdriver with vinyl tape. Carefully use the screwdriver to pry the seal out of its bore (see illustration). Take care to prevent damaging the oil pump assembly, the crankshaft and the seal bore.
- Thoroughly clean and inspect the seal bore and sealing surface on the crankshaft. Minor imperfections can be removed with fine emery cloth. If there is a groove worn in the crankshaft sealing surface (from contact with the seal), installing a new seal will probably not stop the leak.
- Lubricate the new seal with engine oil and using a hammer and the appropriate size socket, drive the seal into the bore until it's flush with the oil pump housing (see illustration).
- Install the Woodruff key into the slot in the crankshaft. Place the crankshaft timing belt sprocket onto the crankshaft with the timing belt retaining lip facing inward (toward the engine).
- The remaining installation steps are the reverse of removal. Tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
- Start the engine and check for oil leaks.
KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM
- The keyless entry system consists of a remote control transmitter that sends a coded infrared signal to a receiver, which then operates the door lock system.
On models so equipped, the transmitter may also engage the alarm system and provide a "panic" button, which flashes the lights and blows the horn for emergencies.
- Replace the transmitter batteries when the red LED light on the case doesn't light when the button is pushed.
As the batteries deteriorate with age, the distance at which the remote transmitter operates will diminish.
- Remove the screw and use a coin or small screwdriver to carefully separate the case halves for battery replacement.
- Replace the lithium battery with the same type as originally installed, observing the polarity diagram on the case.
- Snap the case halves together.
You can count on the Haynes 68035 repair manual to provide the step-by-step DIY repair procedures you need to tackle any and all service and repair jobs on your Mitsubishi Galant.
Pick up this manual today so you can start saving on repair costs tomorrow. The Motor Bookstore allows you to shop with confidence. We offer the best prices available and Fast and Free Shipping to our US continental customers and very reasonable prices for all other customers.
Subject: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Mitsubishi Galant service, maintenance, and repair procedures.
ISBN-10: 1620920921 | ISBN-13: 9781620920923 | Haynes 68035